Splints

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

barrelracer

Splints

Postby barrelracer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:02 pm

Just wondering what everyone's input is about splints. I have a yearling that developed one about 2 weeks ago and she seems sore now. It is just below her knee on the inside of her leg. How long should this last ( soreness) and is there anything I can do for her? She is not two until next summer so there is no pressure to get riding her or anything. Thanks for any help.

Steph

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:09 am

Well from my experiances with them, there is nothing you can do. I have horse with them, young and old, and they will just go hard and hopfully not cause any pain when you use them.
Every Day is a Good day!

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:18 am

I have heard that DMSO will cure them, I have not tried it yet, as I am pregnant, and we all know that DMSO gets in your skin easily, so I have not risked it, but I would like to test the theory
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

butter

splints

Postby butter » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 pm

DMSO does work but there is a little bit more to it. DMSO softens it and the you have to take a soup can that has not been opened and roll it over top of it. This is what will break it down. It does work very well, but wear gloves otherwise your skin will absorb it and you will have a bad oder for a while.

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Good to know Butter thanks!
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”