Caslick's operation

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

qbm98

Caslick's operation

Postby qbm98 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:33 pm

Just out of curiousity – how many of you, that are running mares, or have run mares, have had them stitched? Why or why not? Does it make a difference one way or another?

Also I’ve seen a couple of times a mare leaking whilest running. Is it because she didn’t empty her bladder before the run, has a problem with retention in the vulva? (i.e. tipped)
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Bit'o'both

Postby Bit'o'both » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:05 pm

I haven't had a mare stitched, but I have ran a mare that I put on Regamate (to keep her from coming into heat), and I wouldn't bother doing it again. I am not saying that the stuff doesn't work, and maybe it was just the horse, But the next season I didn't use it and I didn't notice a difference, she was good and well mannered even when in heat. I would be curious to hear other responses too.

I too have seen a mare Piss while running, and it does look terrible.

Erica

Postby Erica » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:28 pm

I haul two mares down the road right now and one has had the operation and the other does not. I have never had a problem with them peeing or sucking wind. The one had the operation for other reasons, not for the usual reasons. Honestly, I wouldn't get it done unless you know the mare has a problem....b/c doing it doesn't prevent them from acting like mares now and again.

qbm98

Postby qbm98 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:58 pm

I just know at the racetrack mares stitched, are usually done for windsucking – (ie as they leave the starting gate you can sometimes hear them.) Jockeys will alert the trainers that she is windsucking and suggest that they should have her stitched. It can also improve their performance, reduces vaginal infection and reduces the possibility of colic associated with windsucking. We’re wondering if any barrel racers have experienced this (windsucking) with their horses and if it has any affect on the urinating during a run.
The feeling on the track is that some mares when they do come into season don’t perform as well and hence there are some trainers who don’t want mares. (Erica has stated the opposite with her mare in Mares vs Geldings) Regumate is used to prevent them coming in and some horses don’t exhibit any difference so they don’t need as much or need it at all.
I know with all the mares we’ve had there was no difference at anytime with them – and the 2 we have now, the only reason we know they are in season is them standing at the fence tormenting the stud. They haven’t competed yet so we’ll see if it has any affect on their performance once they are being hauled, etc. But other then standing at the fence teasing, they are no different than the geldings and are treated the same. I’m afraid I never heard of “acting like a mare” until just a few years ago – and yes, I might be new to rodeo and barrel racing, (who the heck is she?!! :shock: ) but have been involved with horses all my life and am learning all the time.
All your comments are genuinely appreciated and are sure interesting. Thanks.
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”