ABRA Finals

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

AJU

Postby AJU » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 pm

And what about all the northern barrel racers they would have lost moving it to MH????

Numbers don't lie take a look at the population in the North compared to the south??? How many membership up to this point has this association lost with the finals being in Camrose??

Well said rafterf3 8o)
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy -Ray Hunt

TanyaC

Postby TanyaC » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 pm

[quote]Numbers don't lie take a look at the population in the North compared to the south???

Please do compare the member #'s from district 1 to D11 in the north and compare the sponsorship money as well. If D1,D2,D3 and D4 can match the central's time, members, volunteers, and sponsors maybe then they would get more district votes to move south. Each district had a vote and obviously more votes wanted to stay cental.

PR

Postby PR » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Well said Tanya C. If we didn't have the great support of our ABRA helpers at the finals there probably wouln't be a finals. I think that if all the neg's were turned into helping with the finals maybe the finals might of got moved. Great job goes out to all the help for each ABRA season

jb

Postby jb » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Th ABRA outgrew Camrose more than five years ago!!! Everyone talks about the membership that would have been lost by moving the finals from a central location; they are going to lose alot more by keeping it in Camrose especially seeing as they are tied into 3 years, not just this year to get by until more offers come in. They lost my membership 4 years ago because the finals and accomodations were going to pot, and now I don't have to worry about that membership (or my sons now) for another 3 years if ever, as I strongly believe the best interests of the membership and their voice is being ingnored for the convenience and familarity of Camrose to a few select individuals.

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Couldn't agree with you more jb - well said.
My journey is not to arrive at my grave site rested and in a well preserved body......but rather to skid in, jump off my horse and shout........Holy S*!T .....what a ride!!

kimberly

Postby kimberly » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Amazing enough the members of ABRA voted and Camrose won, it was the members that want it there. There was no voices being unheard they listened to what the members voted and they went with what the most members wanted, and it was Camrose and they sound like they are going to really work hard to fit us all in and that's great!
And people are right the south girls have so much more to go to and they won't or don't need to come to the finals, well guess what us girls up north have nothing to go to other then the ABRA finals and it's really nice to see it stay central!
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyways - John Wayne

I will not ask anything of my horse unless I'm pretty sure I can get it.. - John Lyons

zrrclc

Postby zrrclc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 pm

I thought the decision was supposed to be based on member votes. I seen a list from jackpots in District 4, about 80% of the names on the list were in favour of Medicine Hat. So my question is: IS THE ABRA WILLING TO PROVE HOW THEY CAME UP WITH HAVING IT IN CAMROSE OTHER THAN JUST SAYING IT WAS BASED ON THE MEMBERS???? :-? I am darn sure it's not on members from the sheets I seen with peoples names on them.........
Last edited by zrrclc on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

am

Postby am » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:51 pm

I think each district voted so whether there are more members in one district or another wouldn't really matter...I think that is how it worked

Double D

Postby Double D » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Wow, so much negativity, where is the love? I personally haven’t been to the ABRA finals in years so have I no vested interest and was just reading the thread but not putting my two cents in b/c it really makes no difference to me but I have to say I am very disappointed in the negativity being thrown out there. The ABRA has done great things for barrel racing in Alberta, I don’t believe they have anything against the southern girls or the northern girls for that matter, it is call the Alberta Barrel Racing Association for a reason, and having each district as a vote I think fairly represents all of Alberta not just the highly populated area’s. I don’t think the board took the decision lightly, I think they factored in many things in their decision, such as sponsorship dollars, volunteer numbers, and money coming in from districts. I think we should be very thankful to all of the people who volunteer their time to organize and run the association. I don’t think that Camrose is an ideal facility but the reality is that there are very few facilities to choose from, and I truly believe the ABRA has their members best interest in mind and are not favouring the northern or the southern population. Perhaps we should wait until the minutes from the meeting are posted so everyone can get the facts

If you want to see change ‘A’ get on the board for next year to help with future changes or ‘B’ put on your own event or build up your own association and hold it wherever you please (I say the more the merrier).

Like I said I have no vested interest in the decision since I haven’t attended in a few years, but I am thankful that barrel racing has had such growth I can remember not so long ago going to jackpots, that were just that 20 girls entered & it would pay a couple of holes, Diamond 5 & Hobbema were the only two central places to go. Since the ABRA has come on the scene it has done wonders for the industry thanks to the original board members, the current board members, and all those in between. I don’t agree with every decision they’ve made but there are hundreds of members to consider and I haven’t yet made the time or effort to contribute to the association so I’m certainly in no place to criticize them for the choices.

“When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers.“ – Colleen C Barrett
"When your horse follows you without being asked, when he rubs his head on yours, and when you look at him and feel a tingle down your spine...you know you are loved." ~ John Lyons

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:27 pm

:naughty:

Easy gals. No scrapping please. No accusations etc......
:whiteflag: Write a letter if you need to express yourself.
Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

kit kat

Postby kit kat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17 pm

I know there would have been Southern Saskatchewan girls join the ABRA if the finals would have been held in Med. Hat. It would have been closer to go to those finals for them than the SBRA finals in Regina. It's too bad you couldn't have tried it for a year or two.

Rocketrun

Debating rules

Postby Rocketrun » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Speak your mind but ride a fast horse.

barrelracer555

Postby barrelracer555 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:01 pm

For maybe 10 extra girls from Sask, they made the right choice by keeping it central. I just could not see the idea of putting it in the south east corner of the province for the "Alberta Barrel Racing Finals". People should just be happy there is still a finals to go to.

burnin'

ABRA finals

Postby burnin' » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:58 pm

What part of "Camrose doesn't have the capacity to hold the ABRA finals as they have limited parking space" do people not understand. I don't believe this should be a matter so much as "where" the finals are located as to which facility could better serve the finals - and I believe that answer is obvious. As far as "10 girls from Saskatchewan" I know that number would have been multiplied by 5!! And the volunteers and the work we do in the south is amazing, there would have been no doubt that Medicine Hat could have hosted the best finals the ABRA has ever seen.
Last edited by burnin' on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clip

Postby clip » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:15 pm

I think maybe I just won't go to the finals where ever it is to avoid being around a bunch of negative people. Too many people are forgetting why we're all here.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”