Ticks

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

AG

Ticks

Postby AG » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 pm

I just found ticks on one of my horses :shock: ...there is still snow on the ground & it was -26 with the windchill yesterday & we've hardly had any days that where above 0. One was even fat, so it had to be there for a while. The horses are in corrals during the winter & I didn't think the little buggers would be out in Feb/March. YUCK...now my skin will be crawling for weeks!!! Anyone find them on their horses? I sure hope its not a sign of what the rest of the spring is going to be like.

Molly

ticks

Postby Molly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:49 am

mine are loaded...due to mild winter. The most I found are on the horses that have winter blankets on!

Steph

Postby Steph » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:10 pm

They are probly from the pine trees, if you have them around. They get them from the trees. Get the powder stuff, and use gloves and rub it along their backs. Probly have to do it twice to get the babies(or whatever they call them)out. It works good.
Good Luck.
Every Day is a Good day!

Loper

Postby Loper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:04 pm

there was another thread on ticks... we get them... september to gawd knows when! Vets all thought I was whacked, until I took a bag of the little buggers in and asked..."if these are not ticks... WHAT are they?"

Diatomaceous earth works well. Deworm with Ivermectin. We don't have pine trees around (at least that the horses can get in around), however we have an abundance of deer and moose in the area...

AG

Postby AG » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:36 pm

The corrals have pine trees on 2 sides on them so that's probably where they got them from. I was still shocked to see them out this time of year. They are all on a reg. deworming schedule so I think powder is my next option.

Molly

ticks

Postby Molly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:46 pm

Try "DRY KILL" it is a powder that works really well! Get under their belly...up under their flanks! Mine are clean now but that area!

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:02 pm

We have them in BC too - a few guys I know said their horses were covered in them about 2 weeks ago.
My journey is not to arrive at my grave site rested and in a well preserved body......but rather to skid in, jump off my horse and shout........Holy S*!T .....what a ride!!

Ridergurrl

Winter Ticks

Postby Ridergurrl » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi there,

this website has some good information on winter ticks...this is the time of year you'll see them.

The Winter Tick parasitizes only one individual host animal during its one-year life cycle. Eggs are laid on the ground in May. Larval ticks hatch from the eggs in late summer. Larvae are dormant for a few weeks, then climb up vegetation (tall grass, small trees, shrubs) in September and October, and attach to host animals that brush against them. They live the rest of their lives on the host animal's skin.

http://wildlife1.usask.ca/wildlife_heal ... ertick.php
Ridergurrl~
MAY THE HORSE BE WITH YOU!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”