FEED

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

sheena

FEED

Postby sheena » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 am

Just wondering what some of you feed instead of grain. My horse gets pretty hot on grain :? :evil: so I am gonna take her off it again, but she still need something other then hay. I know there are all sorts of calmers out there to add into their oats, but I have tried a few and they dont seem to work. Anyway, I just figured someone may have had this trouble too and maybe found a good alternative to grain. Thanks guys. :-D
I'ts not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life ;it is how you handle what happens to you.

Dancen

Postby Dancen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:54 am

Hoffman's Horse Ration.

There has has been lots of talk on her about it. :lol: I use it and LOVE IT!
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. "-John Wayne

AG

Postby AG » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:40 am

Have you tried rolled barley? My understanding is that oats gives horses a fizzy effect or sugar high (glycemic spike) while barley has a lower glycemic index so not as much sugar high. But remember you don't need to feed as much barley as you normally would with oats.

AimesB

Postby AimesB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:58 am

hoffmans is awesome! My horse is totally different since I got her on it

kimberly

Postby kimberly » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:10 pm

I started using Structure close to the same thing as Hoffmans but I can at least buy it here at home at the ufa and not have to travel down south to get it, LOL. I have been getting the same results from it as I did with Hoffmans. I don't feed any grain, as treat I feed 2 cups a day to my horse the rest is structure.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyways - John Wayne

I will not ask anything of my horse unless I'm pretty sure I can get it.. - John Lyons

randa

Postby randa » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm

I feed the same as Kim.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Teeswa

Postby Teeswa » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Equine Power 2000 is a great product that i personally distribute. I have had such great luck over the last 4 years of using it. I also have horses that get to hot on grain. Equine Power has one of the highest sources of energy that is fat based so that you do not get the carb high like in grain. It is also really high in omega 3 so working on a cellular level, it increases muscle and stamina and utilizes oxygen more efficently. I feed 2 cups grain, a vitamin and equine power 2000 and find a very balanced energy. Not a hot high.
Good judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from bad judgement.

star25

Postby star25 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am

How much Structure do you feed? The recommended amount seems like a lot.

Diamond Horseshoe Ranch

Postby Diamond Horseshoe Ranch » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:57 am

I use Hoffmans and will never go back to anything else. I noticed a huge difference on my horses within the first 2 weeks. My horses that used to be hot are now level headed and easy to work with. Their feet have never looked better and one horse I always had to shoe hasn't had a shoe since. It is also packed full of all the vitamins and minerals your horse needs so as an added benefit you don't need to feed an additional mineral supplement. With the hoffmans you also only feed three to 4 pounds a day, way less than any other product. It is also very high in fiber. There are also more and more dealers all over alberta. You could probably find one close. If anyone is looking for their closest dealer call Wetaskiwin Coop. They are the ones that make it and they would be able to tell you who your closest dealer is. IMO this is the only product to feed!

C.A.A.

Feed

Postby C.A.A. » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:12 am

Can you feed Structure or Hoffman's with Seabuck? I have a hot little mare I am trying Seabuck on fed with oats. I don't want to "overkill" with supplements, but would like to feed her less "grains" to hopefully help with her hotness. I can either Hoffman's or Structure where I live, so does anyone have opinions? Thanks!!

tdw

Postby tdw » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

MoorGlo -- instead of grain -- it's low in startch and high in fat. I too have a horse that can't handle grain and it works really well for him.

Hard to beat hoffmans and good quality hay though. Both for results and your cheque book. :-D
Last edited by tdw on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gogal

Compare

Postby gogal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am

Take a look at the two feeds: Hoffmans Horse Ration and Structure

Hoffmans should be fed at 3.5- 4 lb/day and this provides 1.35mg/kg of selenium and 400 IU Vitamin E /day along with Diamond V Yeast to increase O2 capacity and reduce lactic acid build up (body soreness)

Structure is fed at 6.8 lb/day and this gives the horse 0.3 mg/kg of selenium and 330 iu Vitamin E and no yeast.

This is just one of the essentials I picked out as a comparison. Structure is a very poor wanna be horse nutrition when comparing it to Hoffmans.

Marissa

Feed

Postby Marissa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 am

I'm feeding Structure and Seabuck. The horses all look great, not sure if it's the supplement or the feed though, hopefully a combination! I feed about 4 lbs of feed per horse/day and they seem happy and healthy on it, but I was also pretty shocked at the recommended amount. I purchased the structure because it is alot easier to find also, and less expensive.
You can ride a fast horse slow, but you can't ride a slow horse fast!

kimberly

Postby kimberly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 am

I feed the seabuck with the structure I only feed very little Structure only 4 cups twice a day and then 1 cup of oats with each feeding helps soak up the oats when I use the seabuck, lol.
Hoffmans would be nice to use if I could ever get it here, it's impossible to find, we have even attempted to be dealer. I use structure as it's easy to find and I can get it right at home, and my horses are doing great on the same results as the hoffmans.
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyways - John Wayne

I will not ask anything of my horse unless I'm pretty sure I can get it.. - John Lyons

eee

Postby eee » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:26 am

I talked to Ron Mang at UFA lead buyer and in turn talked to Brian Palichuk...who explained to me...a combination of Tiz Whix and Equi Glow would do the same AS another product..at less cost.
In my situation...being that I am not currently feeding a lot of oats..Tiz Whix or Hoffmans Horse Rations is not what will make MY gelding calm.
Last edited by eee on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”