FEED

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

TS

Postby TS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 am

I love the hoffman's ration. My mare got real down this spring and just looked horrible and skinny. I was feeding her good feed, and grain, and minerals, but now I have added the hoffman's for the past two weeks, and she looks 100% better. I have never fed it before, but I LOVE it! Norma picked it up for me, but I think she got it at Spruce Grove Feeds.

sheena

Feed

Postby sheena » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Okay this may sound goofy, but about how many pounds would be in a gallon?? If anyone knows :roll:
I'ts not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life ;it is how you handle what happens to you.

huey

Postby huey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

With the Hoffmans ration, can you feed other stuff or do you need to? Have 2 guys that are bit on the slender side and I feed them a cup of flax and soya meal to help with the weight. Can these be fed also?
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

TS

Postby TS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:12 pm

For my mare to help her put on some weight (she was embarassingly skinny), I gave her half a coffee can of oats, 2 cups of hoffmans, and 1/2 cup of flax, and really, in two weeks it was an amazing difference. Doesn't even look like the same horse.

huey

Postby huey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Need to stay away from the grain, and was that the ration or the mineral? The one guy doesn't look bad at all, just wanted to try him on the ration for the calming aid. The other guy has not looked good since we got him in Feb, had teeth done, dewormed and on free choice hay. Just thought I'd try the ration with him also, don't know if I can feed other stuff though.

TS

Postby TS » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:07 pm

I feed the ration. They do have free loose Hoffman mineral as well. I know the flax is ok, but I did not ask them about the Soya Meal.

TS

huey

Postby huey » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:37 pm

All the horses are on the Hoffmans mineral and look great, except the new one.

gogal

Answers

Postby gogal » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 pm

The Hoffman's ration should be fed at 3.5 to 4 lb /day ...500ml is 1 lb so 8 cups is 4lb. There are measuring scoops in the bags. Ifyou cut it back and feed with oats you are defeating the purpose...you are still giving grain ...or starch and you are reducing the vitamins and minerals. There is flax in HOffman's so save your $ and there is the Hoffman's mineral already there, so save your $. Keep it simple and this makes it a balanced ration.
Soya meal is NOT something to feed since it is 33% protien. Why add protien to a horses diet as it makes poor energy and the kidneys have to filter the excess out. It is also a poor balance of amino acids. Horses and people can have allergies to soya...it is very common.

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:03 pm

I too feed Hoffmans Horse Ration. You do not need to feed as much and there seems to be more in it. I feed the mineral blocks (Quadblock) as well as Seabuck. My horse in general looks great, his hair is like silk, his feet are good, and so far his mind is good.

I buy Hoffmans in Spruce Grove, however you can get it right here in Peers :)
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

TS

Postby TS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 am

My horse only needed the 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night, so I would imagine that every horse is different. I know it made a difference, because I can see it and it happened over 2 weeks. I think the extra flax just helped boost the weight, so for my horse, that is what worked. I don't feed a lot of grain, but I like to feed grain and it works for my program.

Steph

Postby Steph » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:40 am

Here is a few questions: When you are all talking grain, are you meaning, just plain oats? Also, do any of yous feed the Hofmans to your horses that you are not riding at all?

I feed plain oats, in the winter(I do not ride in the winter) to help them keep warm(I am hoping this works). And now the weather has warmed some, I am cutting the oats back. And usually the horses are so "fresh" in the spring when I go to ride. Will this Hoffmans be a better choice than plain oats?
Every Day is a Good day!

foxylena

Postby foxylena » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:08 am

I feed oats too because I can't get the ration. Hopefully it will be available soon because I can't wait to try it. So I just top dress the loose Hoffmans Mineral with oats and a cup of milled flax (Equiglo - which is what Hoffmans recommended that I use). The horses look fab on this mixture. I don't feed much oats either, about a small coffee can. Just enough to get them to eat everything else. In the winter I make beet pulp and add the Hoffmans Mineral and flax to it. Saves on the cost of oats as the beet pellets are so cheap. They love the warmth of the mash. Once spring hits I cut out the beet and replace it with the oats. Been using this combination for quite a few years now. If you have any questions email Hoffmans - they are always so glad to help you with any questions and they are a wealth of knowledge!!
REALITY CONTINUES TO RUIN MY LIFE!

TS

Postby TS » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:45 pm

I spoke to Carol at the Wetaskiwin Coop, and she explained a few things. She said the Hoffman's ration is not good for young horses because they require a lot more protein. She mentioned something called Genesis for the young horses. She said Broodmares could have the Hoffman's ration. Horses that are not working can have Hoffman's but only need a smaller portion. She said it doesn't hurt to have the free Hoffman's mineral out even when you are feeding the ration, because they will only eat it if they need it. You should go through less mineral for sure.

That's all I can remember now.

kleindn

Postby kleindn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Do you keep a salt block out when you are free feeding the mineral? Or is this overdosing them?

gogal

salt?

Postby gogal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Free choice salt is always best because the salt content varies in water, forage and food. Best to give them access to it since all else can vary. Hope this helps.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”