Which Feed To Choose?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Marissa

Which Feed To Choose?

Postby Marissa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm trying to find a feed to put my barrel horse on and am looking for some imput. I searched for this and did get some info...Currently I have him on Structure but I am finding it is making him quite hot...does anyone have input on Nutrena Safechoice or Masterfeeds Surmount? I also feed Seabuck so i'd like something complete that I can just dress with the Seabuck. Also any input on Inside Track or Athlete (I believe those are the names....). I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck and am not very informed when it comes to feed. Do you look for a high protein, low fat?
Thanks in advance!
You can ride a fast horse slow, but you can't ride a slow horse fast!

twofastandfurious

Re: Which Feed To Choose?

Postby twofastandfurious » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Inside Track is a sweet feed which contains Athlete. It will make your horse a little hot. Athlete is a 16% fat supplement that you can top dress with anything to add weight. The best feed that I like for a complete feed which doesn't make a horse hot is Nutrena's XTN. It is high in fat and fibre and won't make your horse hot. Safe Choice is a good maintenance feed. The only thing that i would look at is making sure your vitamins levels in the complete feed and your seabuck aren't overlaping each other or too high of one etc. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Go Big or Go Home!

gogal

Postby gogal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:53 pm

I feed Hoffman's Horse Ration and nothing else. You feed 4 lbs a day and there is enough vitamens and minerals in it so you don't have to add more. There is no grain in it. YOu can use this formula to figure out what gets you the most bang for your buck.

Cost of bag divided by the wieght, times the feeding rate /day
Hoffmans Horse Ration $28.95/bag /55 lb * 4 lb fed /day.....= $2.10/day

Performance horses require protein however it depends on the quality of the protien. Protien is made up of amino acids there are 8 amino acids that are essential (Horse can not make them) Ask if the amino acids are balanced in the feeds. Typically performance horses need 12 - 14 % protien....depending on the forage they are getting. Too much protien is wasted....not worth the $

Fat is 3 times the energy of grain or carbohydrates so you can get more energy in a horse without disturbing the hind gut bacteria. Change this bacteria due ot a feed change and you run the risk of founder, colic. Fat burns less hot, and uses less water in the process....important in long distance riding. However fat must have the right mineral balance before the horse can use the fat. Thus you have to ensure you are getting enough mineral in the horse if you are feeding fat. Compare the labels and it will show up.

I would also look at feeding Diamond V yeast. It survives the acid in the stomach to help the hind gut digest hay by 10% more than any other yeast. I don't believe any other yeast that survives the acid stomach. Diamond VYeast can reduce your hay bill by 10%. Worth considering since hay is pricey this year. It is the Hoffmans Ration

fastback

Postby fastback » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am

Noralta Farms Healthy Horse Feed is great! it is in both 12% and 16%. (The only difference between the 12 and the 16% is that the 12 does not have the rolled peas.) The best part about his feed is that it contains NO FILLERS. it is made from the best ingredients including oats that weigh in at a minimum of 40lbs per bushel.

The other added bonus of this feed is that we are finding that we are feeding quantitatively less because of its high quality. We have a thoroughbred who tends to be a bit of a hard keeper and he has done amazing on this feed, our older heading horse has done well on it too, his coat is so shinny and he looks VERY healthy. My entire family feed this feed; we all have diffrent types of horses and use them for different things (including pick up horses, barrel horses, team roping, Calf roping, chuckwagon racing, ranch horses and even the kids ponies get the healthy horse feed!)

NORALTA 16% HEALTHY HORSE FEED has Rolled Flax, Rolled peas, 25 Vitamins and Minerals, Cracked Oats and Molasses.

The feed has a great GUARANTEED ANALYSIS of:

Crude Protein Minimum 16%
Crude Fat Minimum 8.0%
Crude Fiber Maximum 8.0%
Flourine Maximum 16 mg/kg
Calcium Actual 0.50%
Phosphorus Actual 0.50%
Sodium Actual 0.30%
Zinc Actual 300 mg/kg
Iron Actual 50 mg/kg
Manganese Actual 100 mg/kg
Copper Actual 100 mg/kg
Iodine Actual 0.3 mg/kg
Vitamin A Minimum 10000 IU/KG
Vitamin D Minimum 1000 IU/ KG
Vitamin E Minimum 100 IU/KG

It is suggested that we feed 2.0-4.0 Kg/day (4.41lbs – 8.82lbs /day)
of Noralta 16% Nutritional blend for horses according to age, condition and performance of growing and mature horses. Weaned Foals and lactating mares may require high protein hay and 0.5kg (1.1 lb) of soybean meal per day.

Depending on where you live the price varies, but the can be found pretty much anywhere in albeta and has just started to move into saskatchewan and Manitobs within the last 3 weeks! I pay about $15.00 for a 20KG bag and we have cut our feeding down to a half gallon once a day.

Hope that helps you out a bit in your search for a great feed !

K.

CEFERG

Postby CEFERG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 am

There have been alot of threads on here about different feeds to choose and I haven't see anything posted about Feed Rite's Front Runner System. I don't know a ton about feed as my boyfriend is the "feed guy" but I do know they have alot of products that take your horse right from a foal to retirement and its a whole package so you don't need to add anything else to it. The main product we use is the Cool Command. He uses it on his ropeing horses and loves it! It increases their energy without making them hot. Its very low in starch and sugar but has viteman E and B which helps to keep your horse calm in times of stress. He is using it on his running bred stud and has definately helped keep weight on him during breeding season and helped keep him sane during his favorite time of year! :wink:
We have also just started using the Senior and foal systems and are impressed with how they are working.
Like I said I don't know alot about feed and I might be bias to this product as my boyfriend is a Feed Rite Sales Rep!! But he has tried many other different feeds and supplements before being with Feed Rite hasn't been 100% happy with anything and he is really liking what he sees with Front Runner. If you are interested in the product there is some info on their site that might make more sense to you then it does to me! And if you want more info I know who you can talk to!! :wink:

http://www.frontrunnerhorse.com/

Kim A.

Postby Kim A. » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:40 am

The Feed Rite Front Runner feed was formulated and developed by the Kentucky Equine Research Centre (taking into account the type of grasses / forage fed in western Canada). Their feed is made under the ISO 2001 quality control system which ensures that the ingredients and production of the pellets is consistant. They do have specific rations for speciifc needs of horses. It does not make my barrel / rope horses hot and I feel it ensures that they are receiving the right amount of quality vitamin & minerals while providing the "energy" to keep them in competition shape. + they love it!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”