Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Michele

Re: Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

Postby Michele » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 am

katfav I sent you a pm. :-D
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

hereonawhim

Postby hereonawhim » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Katfav, I felt an incredible urge to reply to this thread. This is my personal opinion from personal experience. If you want to get hurt you will continue to ride this horse. I have seen what she is capable of and I think she is trying to hurt you. when you are coming off she is kicking at your head. When you are lungin her she is kicking at you. Not to mention the time that she bit off a chunk of your ear as someone has told me. She is dangerous, and if you keep riding her it is only a matter of time before you get hurt. I can sense that you are stubborn about this and would hate to sell her and see someone else do good with her. There are horses that buck goofing off, not paying attention but when i watched her buck she holds nothing back and then when she kicks at you on your way down she is trying to hurt you. She is way bigger and stronger than you and i think you have gotten away lucky more than once and who knows what will happen next time, and I can assure you there will be a next time. I have been in your situation and i too was stubborn and I paid for it as I broke my leg and will always walk with a limp because of that. I wish you the best of luck with her and hope that you can see past the pretty horse with the fancy bloodlines and be smart about this.

barrelchick

Postby barrelchick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Just my 2 cents... a horse that acts this dirty out of nowhere is not a "GREAT" horse, I know how much potential you see in this horse but it sounds dangerous to me... I had one like this, bred to win, big beautiful mover and an incredible athlete... rode her for 3 :cry: years of blood, sweat and tears and then finally sold her at a huge financial loss and major damage to my confidence as a rider... In my opinion it is not worth it!!!

katfav

Postby katfav » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Dear "Hereonawhim"...I really appreciate your input and yes you are very right about me being stubborn..why though?? Because I know that even though she can have her fits, she is a caring horse and has the potential to be much more with the RIGHT training. That is why I have posted this on here in hopes of finding someone who can help put the right training into her. I do not simply want to discard of her and have taked precautions now when riding her...such as wearing a helmet and knowing her limits. I also know that you are WRONG about some things...such as saying that she bit off a chunk of my ear. For ONE... THAT WAS NOT THIS HORSE...THAT WAS A 2 YEAR OLD FILLY ...mustang QH cross so I would appreciate it if you would GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. She has NEVER bit at me...and when I lunged her after she bucked me...she was beign disrespectful and that is why I took her in there...when we left the round pen, she was at a point where she was being respectful, listening, and NOT coming at me. The only time she came at me , like you claim, is when I asked her to come to me and follow me around to show me that she was paying attention to me. I did not post this on here get attention and be persuaded to sell her ...I posted this on her for IDEAS AND to find SOLUTIONS.

melbeeton

Postby melbeeton » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:05 am

I too have a son of Gasohol and can say this horse has never ever given me a negative attitide at all. He is also Peppy San on the bottom side so one might expect him to throw a bit of a temper now and again.I have many friends with Gasohols as well and they havent been broncy, so I'm not sure if you can directly attribute this to her bloodlines.Maybe something happened to her in the past that you are unaware of.I truly do feel for you as, you are in a tough position.We all want to believe our horses can be the best and we tend to see great things in them, but be aware that if your safety is compromised, than is this really what is best for you? I wish I had some great words of wisdom that could be a quick fix, but other than the easy fixes that a few of the others have told you, I am not sure that it can be fixed with simple words of wisdom. If you have any great trainers in your area than maybe give them a call and see if they are interested in helping you with your problem. I can for surely tell you my Gasohol is worth his weight in gold and there is no way I would part with him.I wish you the best and hope you can find a solution to your problem.

Dreamchaser

Postby Dreamchaser » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:06 am

Its very hard to bring out the very best in a horse that does not allow you to feel safe. Especially one that is as unpredictable as you are making her sound. Its always hard to ask them for a little bit more effort and try when you are worried doing so may get you thrown into a fence.
I am so not a fan of horses that buck..... It seems in my experience, they never lose that notion once its been in their head.

dima

Postby dima » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:33 pm

I had a gasohol too and never ever bucked. Maybe like others have said I would look into Chiro and maybe have her checked for Ulcers? they can bring on odd behaviour, and maybe show up more in stressfull situations. I sure hope you are smart and safe with her. Good Luck.

gilliegirl

Postby gilliegirl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Katfav,
I really feel for your situation. I have ridden many horses over the years, (different disciplines) and truly believe that most horses like the one you are describing should find a different job. There are too many GOOD honest horses out there to ride a dirty one. And if she bucks to get you off, then in my opinion she is dirty. I would never feel I could ever really trust her. BUT that is just ME. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

ETA - sounded to me like hereonawhim was just expressing concern. You are lucky people care enough about your well being to post, I thought your response was a little extreme. But thank you for clarifying the facts. :-D
Susie Turton.

Windyranch

Postby Windyranch » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Poblem with bucking not just your barrel horse! anyhorse will do this if they have no base and bucking is the only way he/she knows to react to being not ready for pressure, i don't feel that selling is the answer regardless, what i do with all horses that come to me and horses i start myself, :P is start by getting control of the horses feet, i believe this has been a problem from the start not something you are doing, just things that haven't been done, i would go back to ground work and not get in a hurry about getting in the saddle this will all come with preparing he/she properly, you will know when he/she is ready to give you the respect neccesary to be a barrel horse or what ever the disapline, if you don't have any idea what i mean by ground work a good thing to do is find someone who has the natural horsemanship skills and work with them or go on http://www.clintonanderson.com he has a great deal of info for you to learn, this is if you want to do it yourself. it is a good idea to work with someone that has some knowledge in applying the skills so you and your horse get good positive outlook and start to enjoy yourself good luck! Remeber Time will payoff

katfav

Postby katfav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Dear "Windyranch" thank so much....you remined me that I actually have the 6dvd set "barrel racing for success" with clinton anderson and sherry cervi and the 1st 2-3 dvds are ALL groundwork. I watched them when I 1st got them and used the training tips on my 2yr olds but have yet to use them on her...besides the work I do in a round pen. I will for sure go back to them as a reference and use some of the skills he has on them...

gilliegirl

Postby gilliegirl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:28 pm

I also think there was a write up about bucking and Clinton in this months Americas Horse? Might be worth a read..... but I have to admit I didn't, lol.....
Susie Turton.

bccanchaser

Postby bccanchaser » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:55 pm

There has been alot of really good advice on here and I sincerely hope everything works out for you. I just wanted to add my opinion for whatever it's worth. Somthing that really concerned me was that both you and your trainer "bailed off." Honestly, I think that is the worst thing you can do. I always feel it is so much safer on their back than to jump off. I've known a couple of gals who "bailed" and they got pretty messed up. I have a horse who also used to buck out of the blue for no apparent reason. The first time we were running up hill and I asked for a little more speed and he just threw me right over his head. Don't let anyone tell you a horse can't buck running up hill. NOT TRUE. He absolutely flattened me. This was the light bulb that went off for him. A month or so later, he did it again. He also tried to buck my husband off, however he stayed on. Several weeks later, he went to bucking again, however I got a good hold and started spurring the heck outta him. I got him in a good tight circle and just spurred and spurred. He only tried one more time half - heartedly and again I layed it to him. Honestly I haven't had a problem since. I also took him off the oats. I guess what I'm saying is after you've done all these other great suggestions, seriously do not try to jump off anymore, do whatever you can to stay on. I think when they get us off their backs it only gives them more confidence and encouragement to try it again.

One more thing, I wouldn't normally suggest a tie-down for a fix it. But you did mention that she gets her head up so high that you can't get any control. Maybe this is something to think about using for awhile until you have confidence in her that she isn't going to buck.

Again, my two cents worth. She sounds like a pretty nice horse and you have alot of faith in her, so I hope it all works out and stay safe.

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:02 pm

pm'd you

redzed

Postby redzed » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:45 pm

I think a lot of people who train prospects run into this issue. This all comes down to what kind of time do you have for this horse. If you see a lot of potential, and have the time to develop it from the ground up, that is no ones decision but your own. If the horse is feeling too much pressure and is bucking, you need to go back and do the groundwork and take things slow. It would bother me a little that the horse is bucking out of the blue, to diagnose the problem, you have to understand what is setting it off and try to manipulate the situation so it doesn't hit those triggers.

I would make sure the horse is worth the time commitment - I can totally understand those that say 'there are plenty of good ones out there'. Sometimes you can pump out 2 or 3 good prospects in the time it can take to develop 1 trouble horse. I also think some of those trouble horses can turn out to be exceptional because of their heart and competitive spirit. All depends on what your goals are and what kind of time you have to devote to the animal. If you don't have the time and ability to work with the horse and win, don't do it as it will shake your confidence on the next colt you work with.

My cousin had a rope horse that would buck on every fourth run. He learned to tie him up after 3 and give him a break. Unless his dad needed to borrow a horse. Then he would sit back and enjoy the show!

Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:25 pm

I think the biggest problem we have as horse owners is getting "attatched". A very wise old man told me one time that if we spent as much time on the good ones as we spend "trying" to make a bad one into a good one, we would all ride winners every time we saddled up. I think he is a very smart man. I am just as guilty as most for getting attatched, but now that I am getting "wiser" (and not liking to ride the broncy ones :oops: ) I am giving this more thought and practice.
woman who behave don't make history!!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”