ABRA Membership R'qd for added $$ jackpots

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

Dancen

ABRA Membership R'qd for added $$ jackpots

Postby Dancen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm

I just seen this on the ABRA site.... you might want to take note of this before the weekend

DISTRICT ADDED MONEY JACKPOT

Please be reminded at this weekends District Added Money Jackpot that a membership must be purchased prior to the Jackpot. example: By March 27 or the following non member fee will apply

ABRA RULE: "A non-member fee per horse at any jacpot for which the "ABRA" has contributed cash to must be charged and collected by the jackpot host. The fee will be $25 for an Open entry and $10 for a youth entry."

MEMBERSHIP WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE JACKPOT
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. "-John Wayne

Dancen

Re: ABRA Membership R'qd for added $$ jackpots

Postby Dancen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Soooooo.... what does a person need to do....If you send your $$$ today you won't get any membership info back in time???

misty

Postby misty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:28 pm

i could have sworn we (as in the members) voted against this........and from what i have been told thats per horse.........i feel for the hosts trying to govern this one.......just another happy fee for ppl to pay...welcome to the abra

m

Janice

Postby Janice » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey Misty I tried to find this in the minutes of the ABRA site but couldn't. I thought it was voted down also..apparently not...BUT did you see what IRIS-ANN is doing..I imagine a lot of barrel racers are considering qualifing for Turn and Burn now

misty

Postby misty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:38 pm

hey janice....yes i have been starting to take a boo at the turn and burn....could be a nice change to be a member of an association that actually listens to its members........

m

MPowell

Postby MPowell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Dancen wrote:Soooooo.... what does a person need to do....If you send your $$$ today you won't get any membership info back in time???

I believe Dancen this is what they call "having us by the short hairs"........

ARW

Postby ARW » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm

It really saddens me, to see a great association like the ABRA being trashed on a public forum. Please take a step back and remember what it was like before the ABRA exisited. We didn't have jackpots all over Alberta like we do now. We did not have a chance to attend any kind of barrel racing finals other than rodeo association finals, and only the top 10 could go. If you were lucky enough to find a barrel racing jackpot, only the top 3 or 4 got the money, there was no such thing as the 3D. Look at the payout at the finals- no rodeo finals- with the exception of the CFR, pays like the ABRA. Plus it costs a lot more to go down the rodeo trail, and haul your butt off to try and make a finals, where it pays 4 or 5 hundred to win a round. The ABRA is the greatest thing that has happened for barrel racers. Please appreciate it for what it is and what it has done.
It is a huge commitment and obligation to run an association as huge as the ABRA. Most, if not all of the board members are active barrel racers. Does anyone truely believe that they are not acting in the best interest of barrel racing and barrel racers??
I fully agree with what Iris Anne is doing and that is just one more wonderful opportunity for us all as barrel racers to attend another great barrel racing event. The Double Dollar barrel races, are another great event that has opened more doors, but I really think we owe all our thanks to the ABRA for being the first to open the door for barrel racing in Alberta.
If you don't like how things are being done, or feel that you could do a better job, then please step up at the next annual meeting and say- I would like to be a director. It is very hard to get ppl to take the postion of director, and then to have to put up with negative remarks and criticism--what if they said- we don't need this, and walked away- where would we be. Think we'd be sitting with some pretty long sad faces!! Things look a lot different from that side of the fence, and I know it is so easy to sit back and critize, and say how things should be done. I was at the annual meeting, and I was sure that the non member thing was discussed and agreed upon, as to the fact that there would be a non member charge for the jackpots where- and only where the ABRA was adding money. This non member deal is not something that just 'popped up' , it was public knowledge last fall, and ppl have had lots and lots of time to get there cards if they were planning on attending an added money jackpot.

misty

Postby misty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:54 am

i appreciate the abra for what it was and why it was started not where its goin........

ARW wrote:Does anyone truely believe that they are not acting in the best interest of barrel racing and barrel racers??

no i dont..otherwise the members vote would have meant something.........

and as for being a director....no thanks as i have seen what happens to a director thats goes against the grain........and as for trashing the abra..i think this is a forum and we are discussing tha way things are...the good ,the bad and the ugly of it.......

once again these are jmo....and nobody has to agree with me

m

Dancen

Postby Dancen » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:22 am

I can understand why the ABRA is doing this, they are putting the added $$$ up for the jackpot, but maybe $25/horse is a little steep..JMO. It would have been nice to have a little more warning but the rule was just set, as I was told.

I did talk to the secretary last night, this is what you need to do.....

1. fill out you memebership and get to the post office by the 27th
2. at the jackpot (this weekend) you will have to pay the $25/horse fee. the girls will have a list of memebers to check, bring your memebership card and save the hassle of searching thru sheets of paper to find your name!!!!
4. when the ABRA recieves your $$ they will double check the post mark day, if it's on or before the 27th the ABRA will reimburse your "non member fee"

Renegade

Postby Renegade » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 am

Just my opinion here....and I am probably going to get roasted big time on this one. My opinion is if you want to go you will pay, if you don't you won't. There are plenty of places were the fees are higher whether that includes a non-member fee or not. How many rodeos can you go to if you don't posses a membership? There are plenty of sacrifices made when it comes to cost and barrel racing - let's face it whether you go hard all summer or you jackpot all summer it is costly. This is a great jackpot with great ground and added money if you really want to enter up then you would either buy a membership or pay the non-member fee and go run barrels.

Again JMO :-D
The winds of heaven are that which blow between a horses ears.

MPowell

Postby MPowell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 am

Renegade wrote:Just my opinion here....and I am probably going to get roasted big time on this one. My opinion is if you want to go you will pay, if you don't you won't. There are plenty of places were the fees are higher whether that includes a non-member fee or not. How many rodeos can you go to if you don't posses a membership? There are plenty of sacrifices made when it comes to cost and barrel racing - let's face it whether you go hard all summer or you jackpot all summer it is costly. This is a great jackpot with great ground and added money if you really want to enter up then you would either buy a membership or pay the non-member fee and go run barrels.

Again JMO :-D

I agree Renegade you are right! I am just curious as to where the extra money goes? does the ABRA keep it, or does my extra money go into the pot?

misty

Postby misty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:24 am

i see where you are coming from but not everybody can afford the extra.......i think lots of ppl have the want and the will to go just not enough $$$ to go around....at this rate it will be cheaper to rodeo.....and im getting very discouraged with the abra and weary of the additions 1/2 way through a season......in our area we have lost a lot of hosts and great arena's, some of it to due to the assc and some due to ppl......and without the hosts we have nothing and this fee is just another burr under the blanket......

jmo

misty

randa

Postby randa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:25 am

Dancen wrote:I can understand why the ABRA is doing this, they are putting the added $$$ up for the jackpot, but maybe $25/horse is a little steep..JMO. It would have been nice to have a little more warning but the rule was just set, as I was told.

I did talk to the secretary last night, this is what you need to do.....

1. fill out you memebership and get to the post office by the 27th
2. at the jackpot (this weekend) you will have to pay the $25/horse fee. the girls will have a list of memebers to check, bring your memebership card and save the hassle of searching thru sheets of paper to find your name!!!!
4. when the ABRA recieves your $$ they will double check the post mark day, if it's on or before the 27th the ABRA will reimburse your "non member fee"

I agree with the $25 a horse non member fee being a little steep...but what do I care, I have a membership. What I don't see is WHY can't they sell a membership there? Seems like a lot of EXTRA work to go thru all the memberships, then the mail next week, then reimburse those who sent it in....blah, blah, blah.
But whatever, I am happy to have some where to go run - LET GO HAVE SOME FUN!! 8o)
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

barrelchick

Postby barrelchick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 am

I am with the ABRA on this one... it is their members money that is being put up, therefore non members should have to pay a fee... TBE has a non-member fee and I believe that you have to be a member to compete at any of the Double Dollar Barrel Races. Kudos to the ABRA for advancing barrel racing in Alberta and for anyone with problems you should talk to your director to create change it you feel it is needed.

DJ

Postby DJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

I think its amazing that the ABRA has gone this long without charging a $5 non-member fee at regular jackpots(or closing them to non-members). A non-member fee is usually standard elsewhere, just to cover the legal part of insurance, and should go to the association. I usually buy my ABRA card to cover this contingency with absolutely no intention of attending finals. Its not a huge output, and does cover the association if an incident occurs. JMO

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”