May 2nd answers from Donna Weatherly posted

Home of special guest questions and answers - Molly Powell Q & A Answers up!

Moderator: Moderator

Dancen

Postby Dancen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Rescue Remedy...... how much should I give? I know it all depends on the horse but what would you suggest for a 6 yr old mare off the track that has a hard time focusing and very nervous when she is away from home. What other calming remedies do you have?
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. "-John Wayne

Janice

Postby Janice » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi Donna
Would you use the color Violet on a horse with Ulcers? And a horse that has a saddle sore to start healing the skin and hair? I am also looking for a color just to make the whole body feel good all over, what is recommended? Also would I use the color over a picture or would it be better to get the specific color bulb to shine directly on the horse?

TS

Postby TS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Thank you for taking this time.

My mare has a puncture wound on the front of her leg. It has been almost 3 weeks, and it is still draining. When I squirt the betadyne solution in it, I can actually see it fill up a pocket, then I can squish it out. She wasn't lame on it anymore, so I ran her on Saturday. Sunday Morning she was a little stiff again. Is it normal to take this long to heal? I spray it with derma gel 3 times a day. I spray into the puncture hole and wash it out twice a day. Is there something I can be giving her to help her heal faster? How long does it usually take until they are totally healed?

Trina Swerbus

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Re: soreness in the hind end

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:02 pm

[quote="liza"]First of all, glad that you are promoting this, Donna. As you know, I have been a fan for many years, and relied on you from time to time for help.

Well, once again, I need help! My mare, who has been running great from the day that I bought her, is suddenly all strung out in her turns, and quite frankly, she wins in her turns, not her run in between, so I am very frustrated, and not doing as well as I could be. Not to mention, I have entered a rodeo, and am going to it not very confident. I believe she is sore in her back end...what can I do to help her along, and get me through this rodeo in 5 short days. I don't want her to pick up bad habits because she's sore...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa[/quote]

Hi Lisa,
First Breathe !!!!.....Second Believe !!!!
Third...by the way it sounds, you maybe should have someone have a look at your horse..get the front and backend working together again...

One of the tools that I would utilize on her would be the Game Ready unit. I would put the back wrap on her, as well as doing her back legs at least.

Herbally, it might do well to have a look at her systems and see what is going on there. Could be anything from her cycle to her kdneys that may need some support.

Because this is an "all of a sudden" thing it is likely a combo of the above and she just needs a bit of help.

Hope that helps a little,

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 pm

Hey guys, I am going to answer these last three questions I have to get off to an appointment.

If any of you want to get ahold of me for any further questions email me at spiritpony@gmail.com.

If you would like to book an appointment phone me at 403-742-3853.

I'll be back on here on Wednesday, May 2nd at 12:30 p.m.

Thanks everyone for your questions, I look forward to helping your horses out!

Bye for now....................Donna

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Dancen wrote:Rescue Remedy...... how much should I give? I know it all depends on the horse but what would you suggest for a 6 yr old mare off the track that has a hard time focusing and very nervous when she is away from home. What other calming remedies do you have?

You can use up to 30 drops of Rescue Remedy every half hour if you need to.

I have a herbal remedy callled Cool Focus, we have had awesome results with many different kinds of situations. The really neat thing is you can feed it two days before you go through to the end of your weekend. This dosent' need to be feed all the time to be effective. However you can if you want.

You might want to look and make sure that her vitamins and minerals are accurate, if she is short of B1 it will contribute to nervousness.

Keep in mind though, that Vitamins and Minerals are the weakest link theory, you have to make sure that they are all in balance.

Also, it is said that vitamins maintain and herbs heal.

Once again I hoped that I helped.

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:26 pm

Janice wrote:Hi Donna
Would you use the color Violet on a horse with Ulcers? And a horse that has a saddle sore to start healing the skin and hair? I am also looking for a color just to make the whole body feel good all over, what is recommended? Also would I use the color over a picture or would it be better to get the specific color bulb to shine directly on the horse?

Hi Janice,

I have to admit that my color experience is a bit limited, I usually just muscle test to see which color is the best match in any given situation. But I will ask my resident expert and see about violet for ulcers. In my opinion this would be just one tool and you would likely want to pair it with a herbal program of some sort.

I can tell you from personal experience that turquoise will make permanent and lasting effects on a fresh burn of almost any kind.

A feel good color that I have used is sunny yellow, you want to make sure that there is some orange in it though, if it is too yellow it draws.

I would need to know the horse to know the color, I am able to do this by phone or email me his name.

You can put the color over the picture, a light in the stall or a piece of colored felt, a ribbon, etc on your horse somewhere, these all work. Whatever way works the best for you.

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:47 pm

TS wrote:Thank you for taking this time.

My mare has a puncture wound on the front of her leg. It has been almost 3 weeks, and it is still draining. When I squirt the betadyne solution in it, I can actually see it fill up a pocket, then I can squish it out. She wasn't lame on it anymore, so I ran her on Saturday. Sunday Morning she was a little stiff again. Is it normal to take this long to heal? I spray it with derma gel 3 times a day. I spray into the puncture hole and wash it out twice a day. Is there something I can be giving her to help her heal faster? How long does it usually take until they are totally healed?

Trina Swerbus

Trina,
It sounds like you have been working very hard to help your mare...that is wonderful. What is draining out of it....does it smell? The pocket could be a worry too...is it really big?
I know you are trying to keep it clean and sterile..but in my experience it is sometimes necessasry to let it go a bit. I would wash it with warm salt water once a day or maybe even every other day...Without seeing the pocket its really hard, cause you may need to make a drain hole in it too.
Here's the other thing I did with a horse of ours that get hooked by a bull on the inside of the stiflel...when I got him home he was really stinky and ever time he stepped this foamy white stuff came out. The hole in him went both up and down. I washed it once a day with the warm salt water.....I made a healing oil of 1/2 turpentine and 1/2 oil.....also adding a little lavender oil for infection and to keep the bugs away. I sprayed that on once a day and left him alone the rest of the time. He healed up wonderfully.
I know there are all sorts of different ways to do this...I guess what I think you need to do is abit less and use something on the wound that will dry it a bit.
Just dont hose it with cold water....that would be my personal big no no.
Feel free to email me personally if you need anything else.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Thank you Donna for joining us today :-D and thank you to all of you who posted some really great questions.

Donna will be back May 2nd. :)
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

DAZ

Question for your May 2nd visit

Postby DAZ » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 am

Donna,

Cribing, is there any fix?
I have a horse that started cribing about 3 years ago, he is now 18 years old. I put him on a herbal remedy just for cribing, and a cribing collar but it didn't work. I have started adding probiotics to his feed but I am sure by now he does it out of pure satisfaction.

Debbie

KatieB

Postby KatieB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:32 pm

What would you reccommend for Sarcoid treatment? Thanks :)
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

amberw

Postby amberw » Tue May 01, 2007 9:10 am

Any herbs that you know of to help in healing broken bones. My horse has a fracture of the coffin bone. We are going to go ahead with some corrective shoeing although the vets are not very optimistic. If it looks like the shoeing will help can you recommend any herbs to help with healing fractures and managing pain?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 02, 2007 11:07 am

From Renegade

Hi Donna,
My horse has been diagnosed with a bacterial lung infection We have been to the vet and will be utilizing anti biotics and 1 months rest to get this cleared up. However I have been told that there is some permanent damage, I don't think that this will be bad so long as I maintain her really well. I noticed on your website that you have a herbal remedy that may be a good "maintence" type program-along with good feed and keeping her in good shape, out of the dust etc...., Would this help to keep her breathing freely? Any suggestions would be great, if you require further information a PM would be appreciated.

Thx
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

Dancen

Postby Dancen » Wed May 02, 2007 11:22 am

My 13 year old mare has had warts in her right ear for most of her life. It looks like a white flakey patch. She will not let you touch her ear so it makes it tricky to treat. Any suggestion on how to get rid of these warts?
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. "-John Wayne

Crash

Postby Crash » Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 am

Hi Donna,

This is great that you are doing this! Thank you! In regards to the stretching that you had mentioned last time you were here - does a horse have to be warmed up before stretching? If so, how warm? I heard this somewhere else and wondered if it was true.

Thank you!

Return to “Special Guests”