Lactic Acid Build up/feed high in protein??

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

kc

Lactic Acid Build up/feed high in protein??

Postby kc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am

If anyone has had experience with this please send me your opinions. A friend mentioned our mare (experiencing muscle soreness etc) may have a build up of lactic acid and could be irritated by the feed if high in protein? She only gets grain once a day with supplement (not high in protein), gets lots of cardio exercise, and is on cubes alf/tim mix. Help!

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Hoffmans Minerals in her grain will help.

Double D has a weblink

Jody
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

kc

lactic acid

Postby kc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks! Should we change the cubes too or will this supplement be a good start? what one am I looking for exactly.

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:08 pm

There is also a moorman Quad Block that is good.

There was discussions on her several times, about cutting back the alfalfas hay, so I would say yes, take her off the cubes

I am sure there will be some advice come up here shortly :)

Jody
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

twofastandfurious

Postby twofastandfurious » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Cubes are higher in protein that regular hay. You might want to switch that. Grass hay to for awhile. What is the amounts of protein that you are feeding now in that supplement? What else is in that? I might be able to find you something that may be better for your horse.
Go Big or Go Home!

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Grain is a carb and that will create acid if you can decrease the grain intake it will help, try rice bran it will replace the energy of the grain. That is what I have to do in the summer with my horse. And if you want I can give you a # for some herbs that will help with the flushing the acids out.
Make the hardest run as if it were your last, and always have fun.

leocanchaser

Postby leocanchaser » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

if you do a search in this round pen on horses tying up you will find a bunch of info....i learnt the hard way, and got a lot of good info off here...Peggy Sue Moffat, has turned my horse around, if you feed too high of protien concentrations, it knocks the calcium, and phospherus out of balance ( i think), starting with muscle soreness, in severe cases leading to tying up...too much lactic acid with no where to go. I DO NOT want this to get into a CATFIGHT over grass vs. alfalfa, HOWEVER my horse which almost died(a couple times from tying up) cannot handle any alfalfa, he is on straight grass hay 1lb of whole oats, 1/2 cup plain yougurt, 1/4 cup aloe juice....he has been ok since i put him on this (knock on wood) before he was on feed rite 12% sweetfeed, and a grass alfalfa mix. When I start traveling harder, if he needs it i will add a small amount of barley to the mix, it has less sugar then oats. Sugar is BAD :wink: Do a few searchs on here and you will find the info you need. Good luck...Leah
~~Winning is when oppourtunity and preperation meet. Then you win.~~

jschacher

Postby jschacher » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:42 am

Leah,
Where do you get your aloe juice?

C.A.A.

Postby C.A.A. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Is there something specific you use the aloe juice for?? I have seen it in Superstore and Walmart in the pharmacy department. I have heard of quite a few feeding it, but don't know much about it... Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

huey

Postby huey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:57 pm

I've heard the aloe gel is better for the gut than the juice. T
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

jschacher

Postby jschacher » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 pm

When I was in Walmart and I read the container for aloe gel, it is for external use only. So I didn't think this is what I would want to get to put in my horses feed. Can someone help me out with more info? thanks in advance.

huey

Postby huey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:09 pm

I think there is an ingestable gel. I've only used the juice, but someone suggested the gel. Haven't used though. T
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

leocanchaser

Postby leocanchaser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:18 am

as C.A.A. said, wal mart or superstore, I had asked PS if it was ok to feed the juice, the bottle says it is 99.9% pure....who really knows though? I had also asked her if he needed to be taken off it..kind of like on for 4 off for 1, and she said no. I never tasted the aloe juice, but Nickers on here did, she said it just tasted like stale water :-) Have no idea what it does....I really seen a difference in his hair....something worked!!!
~~Winning is when oppourtunity and preperation meet. Then you win.~~

gogal

lactic acid buildup

Postby gogal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:11 am

Grain is not what is making your horse body sore. When the horse works hard, the first period, oxygen can get to the muscles, longer periods, the muscles run out of oxygen and use different type of energy but there is a buildup of lactic acid as a byproduct. It is the lactic acid that causes sore muscles the next day.
Protien is made up of little building blocks called amino acids. Some blocks the horse can make on his own from the nutrition he is getting, some notand these are essential amino acids. It is the lysine that reduces lactic acid faster and reduces body soreness. Cutting down the grain is not the factor here, your horse needs balanced protien with more lysine. Minerals are important too and a product like Diamond V Yeast also reduces lactic acid with research results to prove it.
So here is what I would do. Keep the horse on hay, grain and use a product called Balanced Equine Premix. That would be my 2nd choice. This has lysine in it and minerals. First choice You can also remove the grain and feed your horse Hoffman's Horse ration. It has NO grain in it but digestible fiber, diamond V Yeast, lots of minerals which are chelated....used more by the horse, and a good proportion of lysine, treonine and methionine....other essential amino acids. You won't be disappointed. Remmber your horse is what he eats.

JC

Postby JC » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:17 pm

I USE VIT A D & E WITH SELENIUM. I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR 7 YRS ON RACE AND BARREL HORSES AND HAVE NEVER HAD A MARE TIE UP ON ME. THE STUFF I USE IS MADE BY A COMPANY CALLED COMPASS. I GET IT ORDERED IN AT UFA. I STARTED USING IT ON RECOMENDATION OF A VET FROM MOORE AND COMPANY BECAUSE OF RACE MARES TIEING UP. IT IS A BEEF AND CATTLE MIX. I RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM ALFALFA HAY.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”