May 2nd answers from Donna Weatherly posted

Home of special guest questions and answers - Molly Powell Q & A Answers up!

Moderator: Moderator

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Afternoon All

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Hello from rainy ole Alberta....I am just perusing the new questions...and will start my replys very shortly
:-D
Donna

Vanessa

Postby Vanessa » Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi Donna, Hope everything is well with you and thanks for taking this time!

I was wondering what you could give a horse that is very hot and very high strung, she has her moments but will constantly be excited, and almost nervous at times when riding her. I'm sure you know of something that would help.
Thanks
To be the best, you must constantly strive to surpass yourself, not your competition

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Re: Question for your May 2nd visit

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 pm

DAZ wrote:Donna,

Cribing, is there any fix?
I have a horse that started cribing about 3 years ago, he is now 18 years old. I put him on a herbal remedy just for cribing, and a cribing collar but it didn't work. I have started adding probiotics to his feed but I am sure by now he does it out of pure satisfaction.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
Cribing is a hard one...cause it is so habitual....sorta like smoking for people. Make sure he has a good mineral source and as big of an area to "play in" as you can get him. Some cribbers do better out in a wire pen with little to get ahold of to crib on...but depending on how creative and/or dependent they are...almost anything will do for them to grab hold of. One thing you can do is pay attention to when he cribs....what could be some outside causes (stressors) and work around that.
The one other thing may be a herbal calmative if he is a bit nervious....hope some of this is helpful
Thx
Donna

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 1:00 pm

KatieB wrote:What would you reccommend for Sarcoid treatment? Thanks :)

Hi KatieB,
With Sarcoids my best advice is to get a herbal consultation done to see what is going on inside your horse...in my opinion warts, sarcoids and almost any sort of skin condition is the bodys way of "pushing" its toxins to the outside the best and least harmful way it can. I know that there are many topical remedies out there, but the best and most permanent way I know of is to see what is happening inside the system and deal with it there.....from the inside out, as it were.
Thanks,
D

Oh, and one other thing....if you do choose a topical treatment, make darn sure it is a sacroid you are dealing with and not just some other skin issue.

LeeAnneB

sore back and movement

Postby LeeAnneB » Wed May 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Donna,

Long time no see girl!

We have a ranch horse gelding who I think has something going on in his back and I wonder if it is affecting the way he moves.

I think he has something wrong in his back because he flinches when you brush his back, towards the middle to end of your saddle. He also tends to want to bite when you cinch up.

My question to you is, could this be causing him to move "funny". We tease that he runs like a giraffe. His lope is as smooth as honey but too me he runs with his back flat not rounded, and he lifts his front end up higher than his back end...not sure if I am explaining this well enough but it is like he throws his front end up at the start of every stride. Hence the giraffe thing.

Whatcha think

LeeAnne Bougerolle

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 1:10 pm

amberw wrote:Any herbs that you know of to help in healing broken bones. My horse has a fracture of the coffin bone. We are going to go ahead with some corrective shoeing although the vets are not very optimistic. If it looks like the shoeing will help can you recommend any herbs to help with healing fractures and managing pain?

Yep, I sure can....comfrey is a huge one for this both internallly and externally....burdock...it is said to put down proper calcium and get rid of improper....there is another one called boneset that I have in my Muscles Joints formula...for pain White Willow Bark is very good and deviil's claw for inflamation, horsetail is one of the highest sources of silica too. You could check out the different healing lights...and maybe have a look at the GameReady system too....I can get you headed in that direction of you wanted to rent one for a while. It is very important to still stimulate the blood and lymph system (especially if he is not to be moved much). Let me know if you want more personal help...there are a lot of alternatives that we can use here.....color therapy, accupressure, all sorts.

D

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 1:22 pm

admin wrote:From Renegade

Hi Donna,
My horse has been diagnosed with a bacterial lung infection We have been to the vet and will be utilizing anti biotics and 1 months rest to get this cleared up. However I have been told that there is some permanent damage, I don't think that this will be bad so long as I maintain her really well. I noticed on your website that you have a herbal remedy that may be a good "maintence" type program-along with good feed and keeping her in good shape, out of the dust etc...., Would this help to keep her breathing freely? Any suggestions would be great, if you require further information a PM would be appreciated.

Thx

Hi There,
Yes, there are some really great maintainance formulas.....mine is called The Basics and has a blend of herbs that just aid in the overall health and wellbeing of the horse. I think with a lung issue as you have described that it might be a good idea to do something even more personallized for your horse....especially if permanent damage may be an isssue...also a review of the feeding program and feeds is a real good idea.....also keep in mind that herbally the body is viewed as a whole unit and other body systems may be involved aswell......I will be PMing you to get more info..
Thanx,
Donna
PS-Just some general info about a couple herbs that I reallly like to use for basic congestion and spring cleaning, one is mullien for congestion or that little rattle in the breathing that we sometimes hear....its great if you make it into a tea and put it on the feed, remember it's meant to get stuff moving so you may see some nasal discharge (what do they say "better out then in", LOL )....and in the spring, Nettle is a great basic, easy and gentle tonic to help with the kidneys and lungs.

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Dancen wrote:My 13 year old mare has had warts in her right ear for most of her life. It looks like a white flakey patch. She will not let you touch her ear so it makes it tricky to treat. Any suggestion on how to get rid of these warts?

Hi Dancen,
Oh Yeah !!! Ear issues are a bugger....once again we can do all the topical stuff, tea tree oil (not on its own though...please mix it down with some other carrier oil) is good to kill fungus and bacteria. I do think that for a permanent change .....you would likely need to see what is happening within your horses whole system. As you have said this is a very old issue and your horses body has likely just localized it in her right ear and that is a good thing. One thing you might try though is using the VS Feeds horse mineral from Natures Blend with DE (diatomatious earth) in it ....that might do the trick....and its a great mineral additive too.

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Crash wrote:Hi Donna,

This is great that you are doing this! Thank you! In regards to the stretching that you had mentioned last time you were here - does a horse have to be warmed up before stretching? If so, how warm? I heard this somewhere else and wondered if it was true.

Thank you!

Hey Crash,
I am so grateful for the opportunity to do this and you are very welcome, :-D
I think that a short 5 minute walk around for both you and your horse would be a great way to begin a stretching session. Or just a trip or two through the poles would work too....I dont think a horse has to be real warm, and if he is being ridden lots and is being housed in a decent sized pen then he will likely be ok to stretch right out of there....but then also keep in mind that if he is one to stand around, that you might need that little bit of a walk around.
D

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Vanessa wrote:Hi Donna, Hope everything is well with you and thanks for taking this time!

I was wondering what you could give a horse that is very hot and very high strung, she has her moments but will constantly be excited, and almost nervous at times when riding her. I'm sure you know of something that would help.
Thanks

Hi Vanessa,
There is a bunch of stuff you could use....I would check your feed program first. Traditionally you would want a mostly grass hay and a very little bit of grain....I like to feed beet pulp....(always wet it ....4 times the warmish water to the beet pulp). It has only about 9% protien and will keep a bit of bulk on her. Oh and once again make sure her mineral and vitamin source is complete and balanced.
In regards to herbals....I have one called Cool Focus that I have found is very effective. You can use some single herbs too...like chamomile, valerian (but it will test), skullcap, coltsfoot, or rescue remedy may work too. I think that you might want to pick a product or herb and put it into you program in a consistant basis.
Also, it might be wise to make sure she is not in pain anywhere, and that your equipment fits properly.
Thx
Donna

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Re: sore back and movement

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 2:09 pm

LeeAnneB wrote:Hi Donna,

Long time no see girl!

We have a ranch horse gelding who I think has something going on in his back and I wonder if it is affecting the way he moves.

I think he has something wrong in his back because he flinches when you brush his back, towards the middle to end of your saddle. He also tends to want to bite when you cinch up.

My question to you is, could this be causing him to move "funny". We tease that he runs like a giraffe. His lope is as smooth as honey but too me he runs with his back flat not rounded, and he lifts his front end up higher than his back end...not sure if I am explaining this well enough but it is like he throws his front end up at the start of every stride. Hence the giraffe thing.

Whatcha think

LeeAnne Bougerolle

Hey LeeAnne....it is so great to hear from you....you must PM me and let me know what all is going on in your world.
It sure sounds like your horse has a darn sore back and yes it will make him move "funny".... I would think that he does "drop" his back when he moves out....and needs to to get away from the hurt. He then will travel like that with the rest of his body to compensate. He must be a really nice and kind horse or he would likely want to throw you off, lol !!
You may want to have someone look at him and get him worked on....may need to change your equipment too, but I think your first thing should be to get him looked at.

Steph

Postby Steph » Wed May 02, 2007 2:26 pm

Hi there, just a quick question about relaxation supplements or herbal/drug treatments to give before competing. I have a x-track horse that gets really excited around alot of other horses and noise. She seems to wash-out easily. Thanks!!
Every Day is a Good day!

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Steph wrote:Hi there, just a quick question about relaxation supplements or herbal/drug treatments to give before competing. I have a x-track horse that gets really excited around alot of other horses and noise. She seems to wash-out easily. Thanks!!

Hi Steph,
There are a whole bunch of herbs and drug treatments for horse with relaxation issues...the trick is to find the one that works the best for the both of you. Because you say she washs out easily...it would be my suggestion to have a look at her as a whole......you may what to do a herbal consultation, just to see what other systems may be needing support....exrace horses often have "residue" in their systems from their past life and may need some form of cleanseing. Feed, teeth, equipment, etc.....the life of a racehorse at the track is very limited and controlled so her reaction to other horses and noise is very reasonable....we just need to find the best way to help her deal with that.

HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN

It's been a blast !!!

Postby HORSE-MEDICINEWOMAN » Wed May 02, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words and great questions...I hope that I have been at least a little bit of help and/or insight. :-D

I am going to be in Carston this weekend and Brooks the next....I will have myself and the GameReady there and have rented a stall so that I am centrally located....I look forward to my next appearance here on the Forum and please feel free to contact me through here or through my website.

Have a Wonderful Day,
Donna
SpiritHorseEnt.com
spiritpony@gmail.com

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks again for joining us Donna :-D
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

Return to “Special Guests”