Putting on a Clinic

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

randa

Putting on a Clinic

Postby randa » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:22 pm

My mom and I are putting on our first ever clinic. We have done many private lessons but never a full on clinic. I am looking for suggestions on what you guys like to do at a clinic. We have an outline of what we want to do but I also want to make it enjoyable for everyone.

SO any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.....
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:53 pm

:D Last year I decided to dive in and put on a series, and now am organizing a clinic. I have found the key ingredient so far is ORGANIZATION. Plan out an agenda and stick to it as closely as you can. The more structured it is, the more you can accomplish. It is very easy to get distracted and the clinic to get off focus. I've been to about 10 clinics in my lifetime (for a few different disciplins) and chances are for every 10 participants you are going to end up with a time stealer :evil: (as I like to call them.) They have unrealistic expectations and think they can use the clinic as a fix-all for their problems, and don't really care what happens with anybody else. They are also famous for their "yeah...but"'s. No matter what suggestion you give them they counter with yeah... but I like to do it this way etc. etc. I also like clinics where everyone has a name tag. The group seems to be able to function better as a team and its easier for you the clinician to grab someones attention(or to say good job!).I find people will react to constructive critisism and praise better if you use their name) Good luck and remember to keep smiling and have fun. If you need any organizational tips I'd be glad to offer. :D

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:59 pm

and FOOD! don't forget food! everyone loves to chat while relaxing and eating - DIET stuff of course as barrel racers are all now watching their weight thanks to posts on The Round Pen..... :lol:

Leslie

Postby Leslie » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 pm

maybe do up some sort of a form for each entrant to fill out specifying why they are at the clinic and what they hope to obtain from it. thus the clinician has an idea of what that person is looking to achieve. also the level at which both the rider and horse are at. try to group beginners with beginners and advanced with advanced so your time is more easily spent with all.
good luck with it.

dirtdevil

Postby dirtdevil » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:03 pm

I went to a Judy clinic once and I loved how she seemed to have everyone filing through the stations - you never had to wait long to be doing domething. Another clinic I went to was very "one at a time" thus you spent FOREVER waiting in the line-up for your turn- which sucked especially when you had to follow one of those "time stealers". Keep people busy - even if you put them off in a corner and have them working on one little thing while they wait.

sq

Postby sq » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:14 pm

Wow, it seems like everyone's met a time burglar, haven't they? (Did anyone see the Simpson's episode about time burglars? It's pretty good). I agree though, they're very hard to tolerate at clinics.

I loved being busy, like dirtdevil mentioned. It tends to be frustrating for people if they spend lots of time standing around. I always enjoy it when I can be offered a plan for what I need in the short term and for the long term. I also think it lends a lot of credibility to instructors who are aware of many methods or possible solutions, but can explain why this one works best, or under which circumstances it works best. It makes them seem more "worldly"!! I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure you and your mom are more than capable!! Especially since you're already asking for input!

randa

Postby randa » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:46 pm

When I get girls riding with me and want advice I am always saying "now do you understand WHY I told you to do that? If you don't make me explain it to you so it is clear?" Or "Now, do that make any sense to you?" I do that because I spent alot of years doing things without really KNOWING why I was doing them. And if you repeat something more than once or in the same thing in different words, sometimes people won't hear it the first time but will hear it the 3rd time. Now does that make sense? :lol:
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”