ABRA Finals

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

RBrown

Postby RBrown » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Well I love the ABRA and have been going for years. The finals is such a nice place to attend and compete at. For my family as many have said before it is like a little family vacation. We have to make an 8 hour drive each year but you will never hear us complain in fact we actully like to because it is different and nice to go on a real "road trip" instead of like 3 to 4 hours away. And I would like to go to Medicine Hat not because its closer but because I have never ran there before and it will be nice to experience something new. Come on we all knew that the ABRA finals was gonna be moved it was just a matter of time. Every year we could see Camrose becoming less and less. and this year it was a bit of worry where everyone was going to park. Last year my family and I went to the BRN4D finals and had a blast and the best part of it was that we were not being pushed down because we are from BC instead we were welcomed with open arms, it was a very nice. It very nice to go to a finals and see people come from BC, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Oregan and California. I wonder how long it took them to get to washington and I never once heard a complaint. Well where ever the finals are held my family will be there!

kay

Postby kay » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:34 pm

for all of you complaining about the long drive, doesnt matter where you live, if you wanna go barrel race, go barrel race. during the summer i've put on more miles hitting 3 or 4 rodeos in one weekend than i would driving to the abra finals. and when your at the finals, you STAY there for a whole week, its not like its a long haul every day go hard er go home :D

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:15 am

I'm with both RBrown and Kay on this one - I travel with RBrown and our families have a blast on the long road trips - like we both said - the Family Vacation. I too went to Pasco for a race - 8 hours each way - and there were ladies who had drove for 2 days to get there - for one main reason - TO BARREL RACE. Isn't that what it's all about. To be able to get out and have fun doing something you love? I always thought that was what the finals were for. If you are in it to make the big money - maybe the rodeos is where you should be looking. I love the fact that Medicine Hat is being looked at - for the same reason as so many others - a new place to run - a new facility - a new town to shop in.....lol. Why not give them a chance? I work in the tourism industry and so many of the people on here remind me of the old skiers at our local ski hill - they don't like change!! We pay a lot for gas and have to take time off work to get to the finals - but like a few of us have said on here - we save up for it because we know it is an event that happens each year. We have outgrwon Camrose and I think Medicine Hat would be a great place - why not try something new!
My journey is not to arrive at my grave site rested and in a well preserved body......but rather to skid in, jump off my horse and shout........Holy S*!T .....what a ride!!

clover

ABRA Finals

Postby clover » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Just me!! WHat if there was a facility that could host the existing type finals (everyone together) but host it in 2 arenas? Just for giggles, i know grande prairie could handle the finals, and we are working on a bid. I know that the road north is a hard one, but just think.... [b]2 plus riding surfaces that are capable of hosting a round each. one round on one surface one on the other. 700 plus stalls all under a roof. ample parking, trade center, power hook-ups, no mud because it is all sand! a committee that is pumped about getting something of this calibre.[/b] Evergreen park is building new facilities again, but should be able to accomodate us next year, only because the facility is booked full of race horses still at the time of our finals dates. a thought for all of you to ponder, but i think this may be the only facility in alberta that could realistically hold all of us at the same time. (correct me if i am wrong) just not very central.

bjl

great plan!

Postby bjl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

I agree with clover. It is a great facility and everything is right there! Tons of room too! I still think every year it should move south , central, north!
:-D

amberw

Postby amberw » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:30 pm

I think Grande Prairie has a very nice facility and hope that they will put in a bid for future years. The more bids (and more choice!) the better!

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 pm

It sounds like Grand Prairie would be a great place to hold the finals - I don't care that it would be a 12 hour drive - I would gladly do it - a new location is always nice - sure hope they put in a bid for next year!!!
From what I understand there is a meeting on March 2nd and a decision will be made then as to the finals location. Now remember ladies don't be mad if the finals end up somewhere other than Claresholm......remember - change can be a good thing - let's all give it a fair change - our directors are trying to do what is good for everyone - not just one place or the other - the districts are so wide spred - please keep that in mind.
My journey is not to arrive at my grave site rested and in a well preserved body......but rather to skid in, jump off my horse and shout........Holy S*!T .....what a ride!!

forbes01

Postby forbes01 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Just thought id let everyone know that Medicine Hat stampede does have a website if you want to go on and take a look for your selves at what they have to offer. www.mhstampede.com you can even go onto google and type in medicine hat tourism and find out that medicine hat isnt the "village" that you all seem to think it is. It is a CITY and has more hotels then camrose.

hsr mom

kopes ..

Postby hsr mom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 pm

did you mean camrose or claresholm ?
beth veldhuis

some people are lke slinkies
not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face,
when you push them down a flight of stairs...

weder

Postby weder » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:19 pm

I just saw on the ABRA website that the 2008 Finals will remain in Camrose!!! 8o) 8o) 8o)

AJU

Postby AJU » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 am

What a joke!!! I hope the ABRA realizes what they have done. They have already lost so many of the southern ab girls. They have found other sources of barrel racing for example brand4D jackpots or other events. I think having this event in the south would have been one way to get some of your members back.

Medicine Hat worked super hard and were really excited to host this event. Why do you even take bids??

I will not support an association that is more willing to have convenience for their directors to go home every night during the finals than to try and expand and grow this associaton.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy -Ray Hunt

Steph

Postby Steph » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:26 pm

aanderson wrote:What a joke!!! I hope the ABRA realizes what they have done. They have already lost so many of the southern ab girls.

And what about all the northern barrel racers they would have lost moving it to MH????

It was in the best interest of the ABRA to keep it as central as they can.
Every Day is a Good day!

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm not impressed with it - not for the fact that it's not in Medicine Hat - more for the fact that a 3 year contract has been signed. What about Grand Prairie in the next couple of years? Why was it signed for 3 years - other than to save $ on the cost of the dirt? I thought the members would have more say but I guess it's not that way. Also heard about the $20 charge for per horse for penning - not everyone has a horse that can stand on the pavement over night without getting very sore or stressed. I will be thinking very long and hard about attending the finals and also about buying a membership until the finals are moved somewhere other than Camrose - I don't care where to - I don't care if I have to drive 15 hours - just tired of the BS in Camrose!

rafterf3

Postby rafterf3 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:50 pm

One less membership(s) to buy this year since it will be in Camrose!!!!!!!!!

JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm

[quote="Kopes18"]I'm not impressed with it - not for the fact that it's not in Medicine Hat - more for the fact that a 3 year contract has been signed. What about Grand Prairie in the next couple of years? Why was it signed for 3 years - other than to save $ on the cost of the dirt? I thought the members would have more say but I guess it's not that way. Also heard about the $20 charge for per horse for penning - not everyone has a horse that can stand on the pavement over night without getting very sore or stressed. I will be thinking very long and hard about attending the finals and also about buying a membership until the finals are moved somewhere other than Camrose - I don't care where to - I don't care if I have to drive 15 hours - just tired of the BS in Camrose![/quote]

$20 charge for your own pen by your trailer? Now I've heard it all.
Well that has made my mind up. Glad I held off on buying my membership. I will not support the ABRA any longer.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”