Dallying

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

joel.carlahamm

Dallying

Postby joel.carlahamm » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:21 am

Hello.
I am new to roping and am having a bit of trouble dallying. Does anyone have some tips that helped them learn?

gilliegirl

Postby gilliegirl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 am

I had someone on the ground run with the rope and dallied over and over...... then someone on a horse would pull it while I dallied. Seemed to give me a chance to think and do it at the same time, which never seems to happen during a run!
Susie Turton.

Kim A.

Postby Kim A. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:30 am

I too had someone pull the rope from the ground until I could get it figured. Lots of slow cattle / runs also help.

sheena

Dallying

Postby sheena » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 am

After you get the steer roped (or if you are practicing...after you get the post roped) :-) and you go to dally think leg and hip! If you can think of roping the steer or post, then going down to where your hip and leg meet it will help a lot. Just practice a few times and really over do it, then it will come natural. This just helps to not miss your horn....which can suck!!!! Also remember, you have lots of time. Once you rope your steer dont think you have to dally 1000 miles an hour. Take your time! :) Make sure your horse is still running straight when you dally. If he is already fading out it makes it tougher to dally and you might end up with some rope burn. :shock:
I'ts not what happens to you that determines how far you will go in life ;it is how you handle what happens to you.

weder

Postby weder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 am

THUMBS UP!!!!! When I attempted to learn to rope (I didn't have a very good teacher...but anyway) that's one thing I learned... you do NOT want your thumb between the horn and the rope.... Have fun!!! 8o)

JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 am

Have you taken a clinic from anyone? I would recommend it if you haven't. You can learn so much and be shown properly and safely. With summer coming there are usually lots from either pro canadian or american ropers. When I started I went to a Ricky Green clinic and learnt so much. It will be money well spent!
Another thing that quickly improved my roping was to make sure that I practiced with a high numbered roper.

JILLMM

Postby JILLMM » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:26 pm

When I started my husband put me in a smaller size pen and gave me a really slow steer that I could take the rope off and go again right from my horse and I just tracked around and roped that thing a hundred times and dalley nice and slow and pulled the steer a few strides each time then when we started out of the box same thing he had made sure there was slow cattle and that he was my heeler and right beside me so he could coach me through it and take my time. I was also on the bomb of bomb proof horses.
Also a good tip when you go to dally make sure your hand with the rein goes straight up not to the side so that your not telling your horse to go left and trying to dally at the same time.

GOOD LUCK ROPING it's so much fun I wish I had more time to do it.
reach beyond your limits and you will find success!

cpw

Postby cpw » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Best advice I ever got was from Murray Linthicum. He said don't even think about it just do it. Guess what it works!

Steph

Postby Steph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Like weder said: Thumbs Up!!! Always rememebr that! try to start off slowly , Good luck!
Every Day is a Good day!

kisha

Dallying

Postby kisha » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Go to someones branding and rope for them. you'll get lots of practice!

nicole6

Postby nicole6 » Sun May 04, 2008 11:14 pm

i agree with cpw
dont think about it and it will come to you. . .

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”