Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

katfav

Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

Postby katfav » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 pm

:-D My friend and fellow barrel racer recommended I post this on here so I could get some feedback and helpful tips and suggestions. I am not posting this so that people can tell me to sell her. If I wanted to sell her I would not be posting this on here. I am looking for solutions so if you have any helpful ideas I would really appreciate them :-D

So here it goes.......

I bought a new barrel prospect in Sept/Oct 2008 and was sure to ask about the horse's history, etc. The previous owner said that because she (horse) has "gasohol" breeding and is bred to run, I should be sure to lunge her before I ride her if I have left her unrode for a week but not to worry about lunging every time if I ride frequently. She guarenteed me that the mare has never bucked on her before...she will be 6 in August 2009. I lunged her anyway...every day when I first got her home and boarded her in an indoor arena so I can ride her 6x a week to get training in.

INCIDENT #1 - Training was going really great but I had a run in with another one of my horses where I got injured and couldnt ride her for a week. When I came back to ride her, I lunged her very breifly for about a minute or so in another arena before I brought her over to my friend/trainer, and my trainer said not to worry and just hopped on her. I told her that the previous owner said we should lunge her for a while 1st but my trainer/friend decided to hop on her becasue we did not think this "broke horse" would buck...since the previous owner said she has never bucked before. Before she even had her 2nd leg in the stirrup the mare took off on her and started bucking..uncontrolably...not even a little...A LOT... she took her from about 1 end of the HUGE arena to the other. She had her head up in such a way that the trainer could not get her head around and eventually has to bail off...just barely dodging getting kicked in the head on the way down...she landed hard and I felt really bad that she got injured from my horse. We didnt know what triggered her and could only think that it was maybe from not lunging her since she wasn't rode for a week before that. Immediately after the incident, we took her and lunged her hard to let her know that was not acceptable and so that she didnt develop the habit of thinking this kind of behavior was "ok".

Since that, I really focused on lunging her everytime before I rode her and she was good for about a month...

INCIDENT #2 - I was practicing the barrel pattern with her...loping it at a comfortable slower lope and warmed her up 1st, then took her to the pattern and began loping. The first time was ok and so I added a bit more speed to the 2nd run but still went at a slow lope...everything was good, her lead changes, etc... Then coming off the 3rd, she came off really wide even though she had a nice pocket going in so I used my outside leg to push her hip into the barrel and I felt what I thought was a huge push...(which Iater found out was actually a huge buck) then about 2 strides then she busted out into an uncontrolable buck. It all happened so fast and again...she braced up to where I could not get her head down and around to one side...all I could think was to try and bail off as far forward as I could becausue I remembered my trainer almost getting kicked. She took me from barrel #3 back to the 1st (right)barrel and finally I bailed off her. My neck STILL hurts and it's been over a month since that happened. My friend/trainer & the barn manager thought I broke my neck because I landed on my chest and my head went to the side. My trainer said I would have to lunge her immediately or get back on her but not to let her just sit there after she bucked me off. I made the decision to get back on and took her in smaller circles loping where I could control her. She was fine afterwards and showed no rigns of resistance.

AND...I checked to see if she was sore anywhere...on her back...or legs and she didnt show any signs of bein sore. About a week later I practiced barrels she tried to buck in the same spot...coming off 3rd...this time I broke her down with 1 rein and stopped her then took her and loped circles with her and made her get underneath herself and work with her back end because she was trying to drag me everywhere with her front end and not engaging her back end.

Since that happened, I really felt like I needed to have MORE control over her so I took her off the Sweet 6 bit and single reins to a Dee Snaffle bit and split reins and really worked more on softening her head and getting her to give to the bit because she has always been a bit pushy on it. Within a week from that I already seen big inmprovements and kept on it for about 2.5 weeks then switched back to the sweet six bit and single reins and worked at softening her with that...and she got WAY better. I also had never wore spurs on her before or whipped on her (her previous owner had) so I went and got some bumper spurs with 2 small rollers on each and that really helped.

INCIDENT #3 - HAPPENED YESTERDAY AT A JACKPOT - About a month (again) after she bucked I took her to yesterday's barrel jackpot and felt really good about where she was in training...she ran great and really let me put her where I wanted her. I started warming her up in the spare arena and loping in slow comfortable circles but she wasnt really using her back end so I took her into a smaller circle and made her work with her back end...she did it immediatly and I took her out back into the big circle..then I went to go straight and when I went to turn her back into a circle, she resisted and out of nowhere with NO signs, she started bucking (the other girls warming up their horses could do nothing but watch and yell for me to bring her head to one side but I was so focused that my left foot was caught in the stirrup... and she was bracing with her head pinned up in such a position where I could not get control of her head..when I managed to get my foot out of the stirrup I bailed off because we were headed for the metal fence and I landed on one of the practice barrels...thank god that I had my pop up barrels (collapsable nylon type barrels) out because I would be way more injured if it were metal or plastic. I had the wind knocked out of me and from my back of my left knee to my butt...it is bruised purple and blue...very badly. I took her over to the round pen that was set up in the arena and lunded her immediatly and she was even bucking in there and not paying any attention to my cues to change leads...turning her butt to me and just being disrespectful...after about 20 minutes of being worked she came around and turned back into her usual calm and collected self. So I took her out and just tried to ger her relaxed and calm. I did go on to do my 2 barrel runs but really held her back and went VERY slow...the crappiest time I've ever ran, just focused on getting her leads right and getting her listening; to me that was more important.

BASICALLY I JUST need some sort of advice of what I should do... It really appears to be more of a respect thing and she is an overall GREAT horse. In training, she will do what I ask, change leads, turn on her back and front end, and knows the pattern. How do you get a horse to stop bucking when you dont know why they are doing it in the 1st place and it comes out of nowhere! Does anyone have ANY ideas...or know of ANYONE who could help to fix this problem...trainers, etc...? ANY input would be SO helpful. The old owner will not return my emails. I just want to have fun barrel racing and not be worried that my horse could snap at any time. She is a young horse (5yrs) with amazing breeding and the hugest heart I just dont know where this comes from. I use a Charmayne James SMx Barrel Racing Cinch (neoprene) and it was suggested to me to change it so I will now).

I've heard that some people have problems with GASOHOL BRED horses bucking...does anyone know of anyone in specific who has experience training with this particular breed of horses?

Again I'm not planning on selling her and want to explore options to help her and get her trained right. It might sound stubborn but I like a challenge and am not willing to just give up on this horse beacuse I know somewhere down there she has the potential to be great...and not buck.
Last edited by katfav on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

jnscrivner

Re: Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

Postby jnscrivner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Its very difficult to give this kind of advice over an email without seeing the horse. Find someone knowledgeable that can help you. Sometimes when you get a history like this with a horse, eventhough you see such potential you need to count your blessings and move on. Under pressure she might fall apart and you could really get hurt! I know someone in BC that is very good with problem horses. He is in Texas at Ray hunts untill feb. If he can't help you he might know someone that can. He is very good and he has been starting colts and problem horses for over 25 yrs. Where are you located????
NScrivner

-K-C-

Postby -K-C- » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Is she in heat when she bucks?
Maybe shes a snarly bag when she has pms :) I know I am.
But in all seriousness. maybe it has something to do with her cycle?
I dont ride mares myself but there are plenty on here i'm sure that are very intelligent about mare "issues"

Crash

Postby Crash » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:52 pm

I so feel for you! I've been there - done that. We bought a horse knowing that he would buck without signs while running a pattern or just out for a ride. My man decided because he was one of the most talented and good looking horses he had ever seen that we could fix him. I didn't ride him for a year and let him learn how to be "cowboyed" he headed some steers and got all the dirty jobs here at home. Yes, he bucked and threw his fits but learned he was going to get his butt whooped something terrible if he blew up for no reason. He never bucked me off (he made attempts but was caught before he could get me off) and honestly, he was probably the most talented horse I had ever thrown a leg over but he messed with my head so bad that I finally realized that I would never trust him and would never ride him the way he needed to be to win money so I really saw no point in carrying on. When we sold him we did with confidence that he wouldn't hurt anyone but knowing that he wasn't going to be a good barrel horse for me as I had seen what he could do (bucking wise) and I would never ride with total confidence in him. He is a successful barrel horse now, the girl that owns him is a real hand and rides him very well and I'm happy for both of them.

If you think you could trust this horse later on - enough to really ride and hang it all out then maybe you should try to find a fix but if she has gotten in your head, I'd cut my losses and get out. There is a bridle out there that is rigged so that they can't buck - we made our own to ride our bronc with and it worked for us but I didn't feel comfortable running him in it around the barrels as he couldn't get his head down and if he tripped or something it would have been ugly.

Sorry, I know you're looking for answers to solve your problem but thought i would share what I went through mentally, it's tough to get on and think about making a winning run when bucking is lurking in your mind. I wish you much luck and really hope it all turns out for you - stay safe!

randa

Postby randa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 am

I had a horse that was a little broncy but I thought since I knew that and made sure I rode him right -lungeing before riding, warming up really good and so on that it would be fine. I want to add that this was one of the best looking, brokest, nicest to handle and be around horses that I have ever rode BUT he was just a little broncy.

Long story short he bucked me off running home at a futurity. I wrecked my ankle pretty bad. It took me 3 months for my ankle to heal but the mental aspect of it still bothers. I have a hard time letting a horse run full out to this day because I can remember the feeling of him bucking me off so clearly.

Anyway, I have never gotten on his back again. My aunt traded me a couple colts for him and she LOVES him. He is a cowboying horse but she still runs barrels on him and does well. I still see him and love to look at him (he is a looker) but that is as far as that goes.

And all you people who were there when it happened - STOP LAUGHING!!! LOL 8o)
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

jnscrivner

Postby jnscrivner » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 am

Sorry Randa, I wasn't there but have to chuckle, since I have been there also, not at a barrel race but at a clinic. You get back on and try to work it out but that history sticks with you and you just don't trust that horse the same. It wasn't so bad when I was younger, at the track you hit the dirt alot but once you hit 40, ouch!
NScrivner

Jody Bougerolle

Postby Jody Bougerolle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am

My horse is a son of Gasohol, yes they can be broncy. However he has only bucked on me when he was sore. He is a handful, on the pattern, more mental then anything, but he is now coming 8, and is starting to mature a little.

My first thought would be soreness of course, as that is my experience. However there is also the nerves, I have tried a lot of things in the last two years, the most successful being Hoffmans Horse Ration and Seabuck. I was to the point of valerian, but I never went there, and will never ever not feed him Seabuck and he will never taste grain again. The seabuck does wonders for the ph balance in their belly/

As for the bucking, I would too get rid of the neoprene cinch. Check your saddle, if she is "racy" built like mine, she could be hard to fit. I went through three saddles before I found the cowboy classic that I ride in now. Before this saddle, you could run your hand down his back and he would buckle. I also found that he had a kidney infection and once I used the silver lining Kidney formula, that problem was cured. I have also used the Alpha Omega Kidney flush.

Spend the money and get her to a chiropractor, It made a world of difference in response for Mine. I still take him at least every couple of months, "Just in Case" Like your trainer, I had one leg 1/2 over and got absolutely drilled. Well worth my 60 dollar chiropractor bill not to have that happen!!

Give her a barrel racing break :) Rhen Had almost a year away from the pattern, and it too made a world of difference. He went from not moving going in to the arena, to walking in no problem. The girls I ride with can't believe the calmness that has come over him in the last couple of years. If she is only 5, give her some time, I truly believe that they are some of the most talented horses, however it takes a ton of patience. I have found that when I pushed him to hard, too fast he resisted. So i went back to walking the pattern at a jackpot, then trotting etc. Seemed to help. Let her do something else in the arena, Chase steers, go cattle penning etc. Try poles, Just something different for awhile.

Good Luck and I hope she comes around.

Jody

PS: I used Toni Trimble and found out about where he was sore :)
The road to success is filled with a lot of messy first barrels

drumrunner

Postby drumrunner » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 am

Its just my opinion, but I believe that there are many too nice horses out there that want to work for you that Its just not worth it and not fun to ride one that could hurt you. Generally those kind of horses will let you down just when you need them the most. I had one that was working really well then one day she decided to buck me off running home from third barrel. Put me in the hospital with a concussion and torn ligaments in my sholder. My rodeo season ended in July. From that day forward I decided that any thing that wants to be dirty like that can find a new home and a new occupation.

katfav

Postby katfav » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:20 am

Thank you SO much everyone...again...you dont realize HOW much I appreciate every little piece of advice. Like I said before, I do NOT want to get rid of this mare...she is good. I just dont like how one minute she's fine, the next, she snapps with NO warning..So far to date she's bucked 3 times and successfully got me off 2x and my friend/trainer 1x..and thats all been since I got her in Sept/Oct. Again, it would also be nice to talk to the lady who sold her to me...who claimed she'd be there to answer any questions, yet will not return any of my emails. I've had her checked out but I have heard our X ray machine in town is a dinosaur so I am going to find somewhere with a better one asap and get her re-looked at. I guess more than anything, it's a mental thing because I've had colts and other horses buck and you always see some sort of PRE-warning...and this is the first I've had a horse give no warning and go off like that ans especially when she's supposed to be broke. I have heard that it may be a problem with my neoprene cinch pinching her but dont really know much about them and have used it on my other horses with no problems?

Also I did not add: Right now I am feeding her half oats/half 20%Horse Suppliment (pellets), and DMG Minerals. I've heard that the oats may need to be but out entirely because they may be doing it to her. I'm not a huge horse nutrition expert. I work her 6 days a week...one day off, for about 45mins/day
Last edited by katfav on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele

Postby Michele » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:25 am

Hey katfav, where do you live?
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

whoahorse

Postby whoahorse » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 pm

....being bucked off a horse is only a 'problem' until you REALLY hurt yourself.......
You aren't wealthy until you have something money can't buy. Garth Brooks

katfav

Postby katfav » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:15 pm

I am in Grande Prairie, AB and again just so everyone knows since I've got quite a few messages asking if I want to sell her...I am NOT trying to sell her and do plan on keeping her but would definately appreciate any feedback on what I can do to solve my problem....Thanks so much :-D

whoahorse

Postby whoahorse » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Sorry I wan't any help to you :cry:

I sure hope everything works out for you and this horse, it sounds like you are really attached and hoping to work it out. :Sun:
You aren't wealthy until you have something money can't buy. Garth Brooks

NorthernCwgrl

Postby NorthernCwgrl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:52 pm

I have a gasohol mare and havent had any issues with her being broncy, nothing. Ive had her 2 years now and she will be 5 this summer. Absolutely adore her. I havent had her on the pattern much yet but she seemsto be good so far (but with that being said it could all change tomorrow when i go to get on her).

I agree maybe your cinch or saddle could be the issue. Or maybe shes got some sort of imbalance in her. Trying seabuck may be a start or the chiro. The options are endless.

Stick with it and like others have said maybe get her doing some other stuff like chasin cows or something. Something to get her mind off doing just barrels or barrel related work!

I know of a few trainers in your area i dont know them well but have friends who live in your area who may be able to help!

wheels2

Postby wheels2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 pm

I know this may sound funny, but we have a 2 yr old that was loving and well minded. She dropped a bunch of weight during the fall, so we started feeding her all the hay she could eat, hoffmans, seabuck and oats (not all at once, but gradually built her up) Out of no where she started running full out across the field and went straight through the fence, head first. The other horses weren't arousing her in any way and the large gate was even open. After she went through she kept going as tho the fence wasnt even there. After this episode we thought that maybe she had a sight problem but we found out this wasnt the case when AGAIN she went running full out across the field towards the barbed wire fence this time, and we thought for sure she was going through, but as soon as she seen it, she sat and went towards the other fence and again seen it and never went though. She got sore when she broke a piece of her hoof off and exposed the quick so we had to keep her locked up, we had a panel turn out pen that has 6 ft high panels in the front and on the sides but barbed wire in the back part. AGAIN out of no where, other horses were just eating and minding their own business, she started running full out across the pen and smashed herself repeatedly into the barbed wire (good thing she had a blanket), she didnt quit until someone went and screamed at her, then it was like the light swith went off and she was back to her puppy dog, quiet self. We put her back into the pen (this time lining the back side with panels), and again... out of no where went running across the pen and tried to climb the panels, she didnt stop until one of us went in there and got her. we thought that we were never going to be able to keep her anywhere outside of a boxstall as she did this in any type of pen (barbed wire, page wire,metal and planks) we were thinkng of what would cause this sudden change in behavior as we never had a problem with her before, we realized that she started this as soon as we put her on rolled oats, but couldnt think that they would give her that big of a change. so we took her off just to see and she hasnt done it since. So maybe you might consider taking her off the oats and putting her on hoffmans. the oats seem to have given our mare the sudden change in behavior as your horse is doing with bucking out of no where. just a thought to consider................

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”