Barrel Racing Bits

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

cowhorse1

Barrel Racing Bits

Postby cowhorse1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I am looking for another bit to run my mare in. She is a seasoned barrel horse as I have been running her for just about ten years. I ran her to the right for a number of years and the then about three years ago switched her to the left as she was starting to cheat on her pattern. Switching the way she ran seems to have helped her a lot and she is running like she was when I started her. I am currently running her in a Hollis Style Gag Snaffle with a twisted wire mouthpiece but I feel that I need a bit with a bit more rate and some more lift when I am running her outside. When she gets running on a larger pattern she loses some of her bend and feels like she wants to shoulder the second barrel. There are so many bits out there that I’m not sure where to start and can’t afford to buy a tack room full of bits so I am just looking for a little advice on what other people have used on horses with a similar problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 8o)

letsrodeo

Re: Barrel Racing Bits

Postby letsrodeo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:18 pm

goosetree simplicity twisted wire!
the harder you work, the luckier you get.

jb

Postby jb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Keep her in the same mouthpiece that she is used to and likes, but look at longer shank options or a bit with less gag and more actual purchase as this will provide you with more rate. The Molly Powell Money Maker with the twisted mouthpiece might be a good one to try.
Find someone near you who has lots of bits and wouldn't mind letting you try a few, this could give you an idea of what would work for you before you go out and buy a new bit.
Good Luck!

wheels2

Postby wheels2 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 pm

I love the Oscar and merril (spur up cheek piece) bit that Dave Elliot makes, tried the simplicity found it had alot of bend and lift but not much rate or whoa.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”