Infection in hocks

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

woolmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Alberta

Infection in hocks

Postby woolmac » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am

I just wondering if anyone else has had a horse with an infection in the hocks and what you did for treatment and how the recovery was?

My horse has a small punction on the inside of his hock which when the vet tapped it, it was infected. We did a standing flush on Sunday and started antiboitics. Today they will put him under and do a thorough flush of the joint and then inject antibiotics into the joint. Followed by 2 more days of intensive antibiotics. Then home for a few weeks of stall rest. I know we caught it early so I am sure things will be okay but just wondering if anyone else has been through this and what the long term outlook is and if you are doing anything to maintain joint as a result.

northernhorselover
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby northernhorselover » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 am

I had the same thing happen to my daughters horse a couple years ago. Treatment was the same as yours with the joint flushes and IV antibiotics. Once we got him back home he was on antibiotics and the vet also put him on uniprim to clean out and residul bacteria & prevent cellulitis/lymphangitis from developing in the soft tissue, as that can be a real problem. Lots of aftercare including light exercise for a few weeks just walking him. After a few weeks we started light riding just at a trot and after about 6-8 weeks he was back to normal. The only issue we had to take him back for was the incision they made for drainage was closing up so it had to be opened up again and the drain put back in, so just watch he doesn't pull that out. Other than that I think catching it quickly was the key for us as well, as it could have been so much worse.
"A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care" Pat Parelli

woolmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Alberta

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby woolmac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

I am glad to hear that everything has turned out good for your daughters horse and am confident that my horse will have a good recover too. Can't wait for Thursday to get him home and start the recover process.

QUICKS101
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby QUICKS101 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm

After they have flushed the hock out, I would suggest they inject it with HA

woolmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Alberta

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby woolmac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm

what's HA? They have injected with him a tonne stuff but I'm not sure what everything was there was some antiboitics injected directly into the hock.

woolmac
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Alberta

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby woolmac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am

What have I learned so far from this experience....hopefully no one else will ever have to deal with type of injury. Hindsight is a wonderful thing so I'd like to share what I have learned so far on my journey (which won't be over for awhile yet I don't think).

If I could do it all over again I would have waited until Monday to take my horse to the yet instead of doing it on Sunday so that they could have got a culture from the joint fluid which would have helped eliminate the guessing game that we have played with the infection.

Day 1 - joint is tapped and it is determined that the joint is infact infected. It is guessed that it is most likely a staf infection. A standing lavage is done that day, antiboitics injected directly into the joint and IV antiboitics started.

Day 2 - surgery is done to flush the joint thoroughly, antiboitics injected directly into joint again and a regional profusion done

Day 3 - another regional profusion done, things appear to be improving the horse is putting full weight on the leg

Day 4 - another regional profusion done, things still appear to be improving the horse is still putting full weight on the leg and looking well (first day with no butte given)

Day 5 - joint is tapped today and I am expecting to take horse home...another standing lavage is done and regional profusion are done the white blood cell count is done and it is at 50,000 which higher than one day 1 it was only 32,000. It is determined that it is not a staf infection but a strep infection and antiboitics are changed

Day 6 - another regional profusion done no butte given today as we are going to tap the joint the next day and hopefully go home

Day 7 - horse is dead lamb in the morning, he has a fever and heart rate is elevated (prior to this he has been clinicly fine and not lame) white blood cell count done again and it is now down to 29,000. The joint is tapped, another standing lavage done and regional profusion at this point it is again determined to be a staf infection. Antiboitics are changed back to a staf antiboitics and he is put on the strongest ones possible as this is obviously an agressive strain of the infection.

Day 8 - another regional profusion done, horse is better than the previous day he is less lame than the previous morning. In the evening he developes a fever again.

Day 9 - the fever is gone only antiboitics given today and horse comes home he is walking slightly better than previous day

Day 10 - at home now butte given in the morning and oral version of antiboitics continued horse is walking a little better again

Day 11 - (today) butte given and horse appears to be improving still antiboitics will be given tonight and bandage changed

If I could do it all over again I would not have taken the horse to the vet until Monday when a culture could have been done on the sample and I feel that it would have eliminated five days of vet bills and recover time.

I will continue to update with the progress. I pray no one else ever has go through this stress

QUICKS101
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Infection in hocks

Postby QUICKS101 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

HA is hylauronic acid, synthetic joint fluid.

My question is what vet are you using, as my vet can draw a culture any time of the day, he routinely does this on all wounds. He does a tap, swab, draws a baseline blood, then starts them on antibiotics. The blood he does in his clinic, the culture he sends out but it will be processed during the week.


Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron