Special Guest - Molly Powell - ends Dec 22nd

Home of special guest questions and answers - Molly Powell Q & A Answers up!

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Special Guest - Molly Powell - ends Dec 22nd

Postby admin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm

We are excited to welcome Molly Powell as a special guest to The Round Pen
molly.jpg

Molly is a professional barrel racer, trainer and clinician.
Some of her accomplishments include:
4 Time Canadian Finals Rodeo Qualifier
10 Time National Finals Rodeo Qualifier
*2005 Calgary Stampede $50,000 Bonus Round Winner
*2004 National Finals Champion
*2002 Olympic Gold in Salt Lake City, UT
*1995 College National Champion Barrel Racer
$1 Million in Barrel Racing Earnings

Molly has recently completed her third training video "The Secrets To My Success - Volume III - The Inner Game of Barrel Racing". Molly put this video together with the help of her friends and heroes Tami Purcell, Gary Leffew, and Donna McArthur. This is a two disc video that offers competition strategies and stories, along with tips on how to get the most out of your horse. You can check out the trailer for the video here: http://www.vimeo.com/8110946 and get ordering info on it and her other videos on her website http://www.mollypowell.com

Feel free to post questions for Molly now. She will be answering the questions Tuesday December 22nd.

Molly Has experience in all aspects of barrel racing from raising and training your own horse to jumping on and winning on a horse someone else trained. Molly knows the ropes when it comes to horse care, hauling, problem solving and tuning. She has competed at the highest levels for years and knows what it takes to stay there. I would venture to say any question you can think of will fall within her realm of experience!

Please join me in welcoming Molly to the Round Pen by posting your questions now.
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

weder

Re: Special Guest - Molly Powell - ends Dec 22nd

Postby weder » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions Molly!!!

My horse is very powerful in his turns and tends to pop me out of the saddle. I am trying really hard to sit deep and lock my elbow, but he still seems to pop me out. Any suggestions or ideas that could help me ride smoother through his turns?

Thank you once again 8o)

puma23

Postby puma23 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Yes, thank you Molly for answering our questions :)

I have been riding a 10 year old mare that runs a very honest, consistant pattern, however I find that she doesn't hussle in her turns and this is where I am loosing time. What type of drills would you recommend I could do? Who do you look up to in barrel racing, who is yoru mentor?

Ms Katie Pars

Postby Ms Katie Pars » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:59 am

Hey Molly! Thanks for your time on these questions! :-D

I would like to know what are your top five most absolute things that you expect your horse to master (training wise) before you start seasoning them? Also with that, how do you teach a horse to keep running around a barrel and not a "stop & pivot" style turn?

I bought a Jet of Honor bred mare in October, and she is a real long strided mare, so would like to teach her to keep running around the barrels and use her stride to her full advantage.

P.S- I know you have a Jet of Honor bred horse, what are your thoughts on the Jet of Honor horses?

:-D Thanks again!! :-D

livetoride

Postby livetoride » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Molly,

I was just wondering if you have had any barrel horses that have bled after you have made a run? This is a new thing for me and I am just looking for the best way to take care of it and wanting to hear other stories about this.

Thank you for your time! :Sun: and keep making the great videos!!! 8o)
"REMEMBER YESTERDAY,DREAM ABOUT TOMORROW, BUT LIVE TODAY!"
"EACH DAY IS A GIVEN, NOT A GIVEN RIGHT"
"I MAY BE PRETTY IN PINK BUT I AM WICKED IN SPURS"

AG

Postby AG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Molly, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!!

Are there any specific conformation qualities you look for or must have in your barrel horses or prospects?

Thanks,
Angela

wheels2

Postby wheels2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:19 am

Hi Molly,

Thanks for taking your time with answering our questions. I have this 12 yr old gelding who has always had alley issues, it first started out by rearing and not wanting to go in but after i would get him in the alley he would go and make good runs. i just learned that he did best if i would hand walk him right into the alley and have someone hold him while i got on, that way we wouldnt hurt anyone or ourselves. lately he will sometimes go into the alley on his own but now he is starting to completely freeze up, he wont move his feet and wont go in to do a run. so to make a long story short we finally found out the source of his physical problems and he is now being looked after accordingly (massage, chiropractor, injections, ulcer treatments, ect...) so i guess my question is after we get these problems fixed what can a person do to rebuild his confidence with different exercises ect..? and what should i do if we are at a show and he freezes up on me again?
Also i have a mare that really swings her hip out around the barrels, even in slow work. i have tried collecting her and she tucks beautifully but wont drive that hip under and round her back like shes suppose too. so i would move my foot back and push it back in, sometimes she got really hot on me when i made her keep it in. what are some exercises i can do to keep that hip in without letting her know that i am doing so? and what can i do in a run to prevent that hip from getting strung out?

Thanks so much :)
Jess

rodeocatchpen

Postby rodeocatchpen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi Molly,
I have a six year old that really locks onto the barrels but sometimes anticipates the turn too much and shuts down too quickly. It really shows up on his first barrel the most. You can feel him pushing on the inside rein about three strides in. I'm able to get him by most times but know we are losing time doing this. He's really quick and athletic but he's also the type of horse that if you do something too many times in a row ,in the practice pen, it will show up in your run. Been there done that. LOL Thanks for any suggestions you may have. :wink:

Camarillo

Postby Camarillo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I have a 6 yr old "Casanova" bred gelding who is AWESOME on poles, and can also run a 1D barrel pattern when I can keep his brain in the game. We suspect he has been abused before I got him and is terrified of anyone with a rope. He wont buck or rear, he bolts. Anyhow, if he panics in the arena he will bolt and there is nothing I can do to check him down and get him shaped for the first barrel. Any suggestions you can offer for a hot horse to keep his focus? We have done tons of slow work, and tons of riding in the arena with barrels up but no runs and he gets lots of riding out so I know he isnt sour. When I warm him up I do what I need to do and get off and hand walk him so my nerves dont get him worked up, but I am at a loss at what to try next. Can you help?

jr

Postby jr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Molly Thanks for doing this.

I have a 12 year old gelding running bred on top - cutting/reining bred on the bottom. He has been a huge challenge to just get broke and a good handle on him, in order for me to gain control on him I basically took all the run out of him and put alot of collection in him and rode him like a reiner to gain control. We are now on the barrels, I have jackpotted him lightly. He has super beautiful turns but is only high loping betweeen. How do I now teach him to start running or do I just let him start to figure that out himself. What I mean is do they find their speed as they get confident or at some point should I be asking for it? The last jackpot in the fall he did have a bit more run but then he blew past all his barrels, which really caught me off guard. I am not sure if I should be asking for more speed or just letting him find it. If I should be asking for run or teaching him to run, what methods do you suggest. I know the run is there, he just doesn't know he can because I haven't let him for so long. If he does get more run between the barrels and then looses his nice turns do I let him try and figure that out for a few runs, or should I be slowing him down again to make sure he maintains his turns. Thanks Molly, hope I wasn't too confusing.

letsrodeo

Postby letsrodeo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:21 am

Hi Molly!
I have a 6 year old gelding who is cutting bred on both sides and was started as a cutter. I just started him this spring on barrels. When I started him he was really divey (like cutting horses tend to be) at his barrels but after going to a clinic he started turning really well, driving around the barrels in a nice circle. He does the pattern perfectly at home but whenever I go to a jackpot he dives at them and tries to turn way too early like he did before the clinic. He only does it away from home and when I add speed. How do you get a horse working good away from home? Do you run and let them figure it out or do you worry less about speed and more about perfection? What are some tips to keep him from trying to turn too early?
Thanks!
the harder you work, the luckier you get.

EJacknife

Postby EJacknife » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Molly! Thanks so much for answering all of our questions! Heres mine....I have an older mare...shes comming 8yrs in 2010. I started her on barrels in the fall of her 4th yr and rode her for about 6 months then she sat for 2 yrs, I got pregnant then she did! haha! I got back on her this fall and she didnt forget a thing I had shown her! 8o) BUT, she is pretty lazy, very willing but sluggish. She is a daughter of Bar O Sonny Burner ( Marlene Eddlemans old stud) and shes built so nice and is awesome to work with.....do you think she is going to be ok to run? Or is she too old and set in her ways? Did I leave her sit too long? :shock: My husband says, she just had a baby....do u like running after youve just had a baby?! He's got a point!? :-) Thanks so much, Blessing and Merry Christmas! :-D
and on the 8th day.........God created Barrel Racing!

littled

Postby littled » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Molly, I have a couple of questions for you.

First question is somewhat piggy backing on a post that was already made, but I have a 8 year old horse with lots of cow breeding who is shutting me down really bad on the second barrel - hes really ratey and indoors is the worst, wondering what you would do to encourage him to keep running, there's been a few times I thought I needed velcrow in my seat because he will almost stop, especially if it's a small pen.

Second question, I attended your clinic in August and have been doing lots of the exercises, anyways when we do the exercise where we go from a big circle to a small circle, my horse is having problems keeping his lead, he completes the small circle, but when he strides out to back into the bigger circle he keeps switching leads....not sure if it's me doing something wrong or him......

Thanks so much for being a special guest on here, it's great to pass our questions your way!

Merry Christmas!
Most look up and admire the stars. A champion climbs a mountain and grabs one.

Give Me Dash

Postby Give Me Dash » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Molly!

Thanks for coming on and answering our questions! I have a gelding (will be 10 in the new year), who was running at the top of the 1D last winter (February, March) then he got hurt. He pulled his pelvic mucsle. In June my vet and chiropractor (Roger Lewis) both told me to give him a year off to heal. So my question is, when its time to start getting him back into running shape, what would you advise as an excerise program or schedule? I really feel that he will be a great horse, so I am in no hurry to push things, and hinder him being totally healed.

Thanks so much! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

reinhardt4

Postby reinhardt4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Going further with the cow breeding post. I also have a true blue cutting horse, turned team roping horse, and now I decided he should be a barrel racing horse as well. This horse is/has been always super easy to train to do anything. I was recently readin Sue Smith's article in the Spin to Win about how she likes her horses to take longer strides around the barrels vs super tight with really small strides and turns.
What are your thoughts? My horse is really ratey, but not to the point he would stall or cut in front of a barrel, but basically indoors I have to remember to ride as hard as I can and just sit, dont touch the reins! He tends to wrap the barrels all the way around, I could basically touch it all the way around..should I be changing anything? One thing someone told me is that I lose a bit of time off the backside of the barrel...I do find if I make sure to ride all the way around instead of just sitting at the barrel that helps...
I am a team roper myself and very new to all this barrel racing! But he seems to like it and I have been placing so now I need to learn how to do it properly! I will admit, I dont practice much, but when I do I just do big round circles around the barrels at a walk, trot, lope (all same speed all the way around), and then make one or maybe 2 runs...any other exercise ideas/tips for this kind of horse?

What kind of bit should I use in this horse? I just use a little billy allen type shanked snaffle, broke in the middle with a little port, with no tie down. I was thinking maybe even a straight snaffle?? He does seem to like the Rickey Green chain bit for Team roping, but Im not sure if they use those in barrel racing!

I could go on! haha, but I think thats enough!

I dont know if pictures help! But I added 1 just in case! It is of 2nd barrel.I hope all my friends dont laugh at me for my posting!

Thanks!

Return to “Special Guests”