riding during pregnancy

A great place to "stay tuned" - General discussion and a great place to learn new things!

Moderator: Moderator

jj0925

riding during pregnancy

Postby jj0925 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm

I have a decision to make. After finding out that I am 6 weeks pregnant (with my first), my doctor told me absolutely no barrel racing and only very light riding (walking, no trotting or loping). After pleading my case to her that not riding and barrel racing this summer was going to kill me, she discussed all the possible consequences and reasons why I should listen to her.

I wanted to put this out there and see how many of you handled this scenario. I know people who have ridden during their pregnancy and I would like some feedback. Is my doctor being over-concerned? Are the risks really that high? My good friend sides with my doctor and points out that if anything did I happen I would never forgive myself.

I am torn. I want to continue to be active and do what I love to do, but my conscience is nagging. HELP! Thoughts?? :think:

randa

Re: riding during pregnancy

Postby randa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 am

My doctor told me to continue doing all the same things I was doing before getting pregnant. I ran barrels until 6 months and then just lightly rode until I had them. There are dangers that are out of your control when riding but I just made sure I didn't get on any horses that I wasn't sure of (even that is not 100%). 8o)

The other thing to think about is that it is only a short time out of a whole lifetime that you are going to be out of the saddle so if the risks out weigh the benefits .....
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

playin hard

Postby playin hard » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am

When I was pregnant I had the same concerns from my doctor. I continued to barrel race up until almost 5 months - I told myself that once I couldn't fit into my normal pants it was time to stop. I still rode lightly for another couple of weeks. I had lots of people tell me that as long as I was doing something that I had always done and played it cautious with ground and trusted my horse I should do what felt right. I think you just know, depends on your balance and how comfortable you feel.
Congrats by the way 8o)

mf

Postby mf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 am

I rode to 6 months then I became to large to fit in the saddle. hehe. But yes my doctor said to continue what I did before. I think it also depends if you are high risk or not??

fanofElvis

Postby fanofElvis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am

I didnt get very big during my pregnancy but I rode till 7.5 months. It all depends on how you feel and how things are going for YOU! I had a doctor tell me to go home and put my feet up for 9 months!! Seriously he said don't even excerise!! I f you are in shape to do it and feel comfortable then go for it. It did mess with me a bit because I was very cautious and it was a hard habit to break after but it gave a way to stay connected and it was my time. I think what pioneer women did when the only mode of transportation was horse and they had to work their gardens and fields. I think as women we are pretty hardy and so is our offspring even in utero. Good Luck!

Michele

Postby Michele » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:47 pm

I ran barrels until I didn't feel safe anymore and that was at about 5 months. Hope that helps. :-)
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

jj0925 wrote:I have a decision to make. After finding out that I am 6 weeks pregnant (with my first), my doctor told me absolutely no barrel racing and only very light riding (walking, no trotting or loping). After pleading my case to her that not riding and barrel racing this summer was going to kill me, she discussed all the possible consequences and reasons why I should listen to her.

I wanted to put this out there and see how many of you handled this scenario. I know people who have ridden during their pregnancy and I would like some feedback. Is my doctor being over-concerned? Are the risks really that high? My good friend sides with my doctor and points out that if anything did I happen I would never forgive myself.

I am torn. I want to continue to be active and do what I love to do, but my conscience is nagging. HELP! Thoughts?? :think:

I barrel raced at finals when I was 14-15 weeks. Even then, it was in my head and it definitely affected my confidence. (plus my enlarged boobs were affecting my balance already!) I rode until I was 6 months along but not competitively and just horses I trusted. I probably should have stopped sooner. I had a little cry the day I knew I couldn't do it any more. The horses knew too and actually started acting stupid, I think they were wondering why I was riding so cautious. Its like they got suspicious.
Everyone carries different and every pregnancy is different. Everyone rides different and the horses are different so you just have to do what feels right for you and your baby.

For me I had to keep riding for my sanity so in that sense it probably was best for the baby! I knew when it was time to slow down, and when to stop (for me...although my doctor and family that doesn't ride may not have agreed).
What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens. -Thaddeus Golas

Michele

Postby Michele » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 am

Well said Admin. That's exactly how it was for me.
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

Kat

Postby Kat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:54 am

I also was another die-hard barrel-racer that rodeoed until I was 7 months along. My doctor or parents did not tell me to quit - they just said to use common sense. I was very healthy and not -high risk. I did not get very big ... but around 7 months my horse started not clocking our normal paywindow times due to the fact I was sitting down early for a barrel turn to protect myself so it was time to make the smart decision to take time off. I also was on a very trusty mount. Two months off felt like 2 years - but everything went great and I was back on competing the week end after I had our babe ( thanks to my hubby keeping the barrel horse fit)...we have no regrets - but again every situation is different. Good Luck!

huey

Postby huey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 pm

I barrel raced until I was 6 mos with my first and 5 mos with the other 2. Had to quit riding as my tummy had some pulling which was very painful. My Dr. said to continue my regular activities, but keep some common sense. I had to ride to keep my sanity, but if something had happened I would have felt terrible. It's a personal choice.
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

Kary

Postby Kary » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:12 am

Hey All:

Just wanted to play the deveil's advocate here and give the other side of the coin. I :think: only rode until 10 weeks with both of my boys. Something in my heart with my first told me to stop. I am very glad I did because I had some serious complications with both. Riding beyond that time, I would have lost them. These complications were unforseen and not detectable until I had an ultrasound (placenta previa).

I believe that each individual knows their own body and I would never judge anyone who continued to ride as long as they can. Riding during pregnancy is not a choice I made and I am glad I gave it up for a while. There will always be barrelracing but once you're a mom, you've got some protecting to do. I'm glad I stopped early. My little guys rock! (And I too, LOVE our sport). :-)

ALM

Postby ALM » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:45 pm

I barrel raced until I was about 4 months and then it just became too uncomfortable. I just found I didn't want to do it anymore while I was pregnant. I don't understand how anyone could barrel race at six or seven months but I was huge by that time. I rode until about 5 months but just didn't barrel race. The time after I had the baby was worse because I wanted to ride so bad but doctor told me not until six weeks. I tried at four and it was a mistake so do what your doctor says!

jj0925

Postby jj0925 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your experiences. Its nice to gain some insight from like-minded people. Wow - barrel racers are die hards! :shock: If I can get through the nausea and complete exhaustion I am feeling right now, I think I will go for a nice little ride and let my intuition tell me what is right for me. I feel like after hearing all your stories, I don't have to feel guilty either way. This forum is great for learning from each other. Thanks again everyone! :-D

Copesmommy

Postby Copesmommy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 am

I was wondering what barrel racers expecting did as well. This makes me feel better now. Im 11 weeks today and have my first ulttasound next week. Crossing my fingers for good news and hopefully can at least trail ride. Im gonna be super sad if the doc says i cant barrel race!

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”