First Time clearing/fencing... help?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

barrel85

First Time clearing/fencing... help?

Postby barrel85 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 am

I just bought a new acreage and need to start building pens soon. There is brush not higher than my knees and a few skinny trees not taller than me (also my neighbour says there is some clover) and I am wondering what the CHEAPEST way to clear it would be?

Someone mentioned I would need to spray the clover... how do I do this? What do I use? And how long does it take before I can put horses in there as I imagine the spray may be harmful to them.

Any help is good help from people with experience in this!! HELP!

ls

Re: First Time clearing/fencing... help?

Postby ls » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I like Grazon. It will kill the clover and other broadleaf weeds. Likely it will kill the brush and small trees too - so you can later cut them down and burn them. I cleaned out my stallions pen this way. It takes the grass about 1 year to come in nice and thick.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

barrel85

Postby barrel85 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 am

Is it harmful to horses ? How long after spraying do you wait to put your horses in that pen? I am looking for a way to be able to move them in asap as I am boarding them at someone elses in the meantime.

porky

Postby porky » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 am

Grazon or curtail M will work to kill clover ( UFA has them) depending how much land you have you can either hire a sprayer or use a quad sprayer....both chemicals are fairly dangerous so I wouldn't recommend hand spraying. When we used Curtail M they recommend your horses off the pasture for at least a week after spraying. Both chemicals are quite expensive, the grazon costs more but last longer. Spraying will not kill the clover forever, it will come back within a few years, especially in low spots or after a wet year. We need to spray every 3 years or so . For best results you should be spraying when it is in bloom......so late may where you live ( thats what ufa just told me the other day) last time we sprayed it was july but it still worked, we did not know how much clover we had until that late in the year. The grazon and curtail will kill all broad leaf ( clover, alfalfa) but will not kill grass ( timothy, brome, orchard grass) If you want to do it right the best way is to spray it to kill the clover, then work the field for a few years and leave it in summer fallow....then seed it to crop for a few years... ( barley, oats) then seed it back to hay....and hopefully then you may have a chance of killing the clover. We live in TP and we have had a really hard time getting rid of it. It is rotten awful stuff to deal with.....do you have regular clover or alsike clover? I have had horses clover poison in the past and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unfortunately it takes time to do it right. we had an area with trees like yours we got a big breaking disk and broke it and then seeded it, it took a year of no horses on it for the pasture to come. If you turn horses out on it too soon the grass wont come.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, County of GP rents truck sprayers for 50 bucks a day, just another option.
Last edited by porky on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ls

Postby ls » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 pm

With Grazon you can spray and leave the horses on hence its name. I have used in many times in pastures with horses and have sprayed without taking them off. No problem. I have used in with a hand sprayer, quad sprayer and tractor sprayer. No issues with any. Be careful around spruce trees that you don't want to kill. They are particularly sensitive and die with just a tiny bit. Even the big ones. I've killed many by accident. If you spray a bit heavier you will kill poplar trees including big ones. I accidently killed about 30 big trees in my stallions pen this way and my stud was in the pen the entire time. He didn't have an problems from the spray.
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a human.

Jazz

Postby Jazz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 pm

I agree...Grazon works really well. Used it for our acreage clearing to get rid of broadleaf weeds, brush and poplar trees. Used a pull behind sprayer as well as a backpack/hand sprayer. Label, MSDS and Fact Sheet at http://www.dowagro.com/ca/prod/grazon.htm.

louise

Postby louise » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Even though they say you can leave animals on when using Grazon, I would not do it. What the chemical companies say is safe and what is really safe are two different things. I would still leave them off for a week or more. They also claim you can drink Roundup . . .

There may not be any immediate effects but there could be long-term ones that you may not notice for a few years.

There usually are no long-term studies done on these type of things so they really don't know what effects there may be years later. And the studies are usually done by the chemical companies themselves, so they are not going to spend money on a study that may show that their product is unsafe.

gogal

Postby gogal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 pm

JMO but I am one of those peope who worked for the chem company and did research on Herbicides registered. Preharvest and grazing restrictions are closely monitor and approves by the Canadaian gov't so if it says its ok to leave horses on it, it has been tested many times and PROVEN scienticfically
To kill clover it is tough but any Lontrel product does do a good job. This incldues Curtail M, Spectrum, and Prestige. They are expensive and there is a grazing restriction but they can be effective. DO NOT SPRAY when flowering as its toooo late. Alot of what you use to spray is most effective when small. When the plant is flowering it does not metabolize herbicides. Grazon is a good product for small brush and even thistle in the field. It will last for a few years however it is expensivve the year of spraying. There is an issue with Graxon you must be aware of. You can not move the soil, or the manure off of the pasture to any garden. There is carry over and you will not have a garden of any sort if you transfer dirt or manure. Dow AgroSciences makes these products and I would recommend you talk to their technical people to fully understand the issues you are facing. Their tecs are certified to give advise in pasture management and could save you a big dollars to ensure you use the right products at the right time. They can be found on the web.

louise

Postby louise » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 pm

None of these things are 100% safe. I always err on the side of caution because we never know what the effects will be years down the road and neither do the companies no matter what study they may do and most will not do a 10 or 15 year study, so they really don't know. No study is 100% either. Using any type of chemical that will kill something runs some sort of a risk. I never trust anything where the company itself is doing the study, which is what happens most of the time.

ranching84@gmail.com

Postby ranching84@gmail.com » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:30 am

Short and sweet. Hire out goats to clear all your weed and brush problems. No chemicals no problems

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”