Shedding

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

KT Canchaser

Shedding

Postby KT Canchaser » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:50 pm

Why do think lighter coloured horses start to shed thier winter hair before others :?:
Keep on Keepin' on

rockinm

Postby rockinm » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Excellent question to which I have no answer! I have wondered the same myself. I have noticed that our paint horses shed out their white long before the colored hair. My logic says the darker stuff would shed first as I would think it would be warmer as it would hold the heat better...no so!

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on this one too!

dustincox

shedding

Postby dustincox » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:03 pm

A few years ago I took a breeding course at Olds. They told us that it was light that shed the horses out not heat. I personally think it is both a mixture of light and heat and not the color of the horse. For instance when it is -20 outside, and the yard light shines into the horse pen they don't loose any hair due to light only. I also dont have any exotic colored horses, mine are all sorrels and bays. I have never noticed lighter colored horses shedding before others, is this right? Then I would be curious to check the color or size of the horses eyes, purhaps some horses are more sensitive to light, hense the shedding??

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:11 am

Hey, just to add humour to this one...once I was at a clinic(in the spring) and my horse (bay) and another gals horse(white app) shook at the same time and the bystanders started to laugh :shock: , because the ground was all white around the app! There was no difference around me as the hair blended in the ground. Do you suppose you just don't notice as much... :D

qbm98

Postby qbm98 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:57 am

I think you're right tlaye, you notice it more on the lighter colored horses.

My buckskins seem to be more noticeable in hair loss then the others. My one buckskin starts to get his winter coat end of August; and he is the only one when it is cold and wet, that shivers. (at one event, one of the other geldings saw the extra tlc the buckskin got by shivering and commenced to shiver too - who says they aren't smart? That ole horse is as tough as they come, never saw him shiver or shake before or after that so you know it was a ploy.) :roll:

The red roan seems to be losing more white hairs then red ones right now too. We should try to keep track of the amount of hair that comes off in a brushing and compare the colors.

Also I've noticed that stallions seem to shed out abit faster then the others too.
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

wprodeo

Postby wprodeo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:23 am

One point of interest on shedding, is on our paints, the white seems to shed off quicker than the dark hair. Looks quite strange when the white is a lot shorter than the black or dark hair!

April

Postby April » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:49 am

I think it depends on the horse. My horse is bay and he is just about shed out...except for his hairy belly and legs. Shawn's paint (brown and white) calf horse isn't hardly shedding at all. They are both fed the same supplements (Smooth Run) with oil, equalik (sp), and applecider vinegar, and they even have the same blankets on. So go figure??? :?

Erica

Postby Erica » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:26 am

Well, I definitely notice a huge difference!!! My sorrel horse is almost shed out with no blanketing at all. I bring the shedder out and there is hardly anything to shed. My dark brown horse on the other hand is like a fuzzy teddy bear. Her hair is shedding out huge!! I can go over one spot on her butt like 5 times and the same amount keeps coming off. She is a very hairy girl!!

I have heard this from others as well that their dark horses are hairier.

Michele

Postby Michele » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:30 pm

My white/grey paint is the hairiest beast I've ever seen! All of our horses are just starting to shed - being from the frozen north just doesn't help things. So I'll be the one at the jackpots/rodeos that looks like I pulled my horses out of the pen the day before! They are all very scrubby looking.

Erica - the snow is just about all gone here too!
Horses are a perfect metaphor for life: there are no guarantees and virtually no limits. - Jane Savoie

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”