cowboys and cowgirls as athletes

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

sq

cowboys and cowgirls as athletes

Postby sq » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:19 pm

I was wondering if people felt that cowboys/cowgirls were actually athletes. If so, why (like, because they exercise). If not, why not (like, beer gardens don't exercise muscles). Are cowgirls more of an athlete than cowboys, or is it reversed, or niether? Looking forward to the responses!!! :D

bushedbunny

Postby bushedbunny » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:33 pm

well i think anybody who is serious about rodeo will be fit and is an athlete, because if your not, your toughest competition will be. im not saying the fat asses out there arent serious about the sport but they're not quite the best athlete in my mind.

sq

Postby sq » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:32 pm

I agree: it's hard to consider somebody as an athlete when they're carrying around a beer belly!!! :D

Savanna

Postby Savanna » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:25 am

I don't know how other people feel about the topic but in my opinion there are many people who can throw down a steer in under 4 seconds, that i would consider an athlete, that do not look 100% physically fit. And as far as im concerned i am not in the best of shape although i work out regularily but yes, i still consider myself an athlete?!?! I mean why shouldnt i right :? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but who are you to say that a 250lb steer wrestler isnt an athlete....that is a pretty demanding sport in my opinion....
Savanna

Deana

Postby Deana » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:13 am

I agree with you Savanna, I don't think its really a concern to other people about what a rodeo athlete does for exercise or their diet. It takes a lot of try, heart, determination, and talent to rodeo. There are a lot of people that would be considered (in others eyes) a little heavy or whatever, but that doesn't mean some of our toughest competitors aren't the best in Canada. Therefore I don't think anyone should be labled "not an athlete" for being what they are.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
- Know thyself
- Love thyself
- Be true to thyself. :wink:

sq

Postby sq » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:51 pm

I disagree. If an athlete makes his living through his body, then he should want it to be in THE BEST possible shape to ensure that he can do well. I've seen alot of very talented cowboys and cowgirls and thought "wow, if they were only in better shape, we'd be screwed!!". Keep in mind that I think talent/ability and physical condition are separate entities. This could be one reason why cowboys/girls have trouble being taken seriously as a sport.

Montana

Postby Montana » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:53 am

Good Topic.

I think that in order to be successful in the sport you have to be in shape and athletic. To me the perfect example is Robert Bowers. From what he eats to how long he sleeps etc. He is an athelete. No one else could go through what he has and still be alive, let alone riding bulls and bareback horses, with either hand! As for the shape and size of one's body I don't think that is a factor. Everyone is unique. Compare someone like Curtis Cassidy to Craig Guthrie. They are both incredible atheletes

Luna

Postby Luna » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:31 am

Correct me If i'm wrong but in football, not all of the players are "lean, mean, runnin' machines" There are players that are very large (sorry, not up on my football so I don't know their offficial title :oops: ) They are still called athletes and they get paid pretty good even if they aren't in the best of shape, as long as they are BIG....

krys

Postby krys » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:40 am

In my opinion...I fully agree with Savanna...there are some big boys out there that are at the top of there game. Who cares if they have a beer or two afterward...does NOT mean they aren't an athlete. I"m sorry SQ but I really feel you are out of line. As for barrel racers...the real athletes in our sport are the horses. I work out an hour a day and ride each of my horses an hour a day, however, they get more of a workout...they are the ones that are carrying my ass around. Athletes...really the only person that can decide whether he or she is an athlete is themselves. Horrible topic by the way...

randa

Postby randa » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:43 am

I am stepping out on limb because I am one of "those" people who could be in "better shape". I am not heavy just out of shape. I think all the time how much better I could ride if only I would get in the best shape possible. That said, my husband and I discuss this quiet often. Why is it that the cowboys don''t keep themselves in better condition, along with their horses for the timed event guys, if they want to really be a champ. You need to be the BEST if you are going to win 1st because there are so many tough competitor out there. And I don't mean never having any fun, I mean working out and keeping your body in prime shape.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

bushedbunny

Postby bushedbunny » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:51 am

I think its funny how we all train our horses, and expect them to be in the best physical shape possible, we monitor their feed and we take the time and effort to make sure they are on the top of there game by training them and working them, but then we can let it slide with ourselves, im not disagreeing that you can know yourself, love yourself and all that stuff, but why do we demand so much out of our horses and not so much out of ourselves?! Lots of barrel racers will blame the horse if something goes wrong, it seems it takes longer for the barrel racers to admit that it could possibly be their mistake to begin with, and all it could be is sharpness of the mind overmissed by the jockley themselves, that could be easily prevented by the simple task of exercise.

bushedbunny

Postby bushedbunny » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:57 am

I forgot one thing, I have yet to see a 250lb barrel racer win the CRF or the NFR, or any other associatipon, correct me if im wrong, but if they were in shape wouldnt they do better than if they were 250lbs?

dirtdevil

Postby dirtdevil » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:03 pm

I believe the original question was if people felt that cowboys/cowgirls were actually athletes. An athlete is defined as someone who is trained to contend in games of physical strength or endurance. I would have to put some emphasis on the word trained from that phrase. It doesn’t mean that everyone who competes is an athlete (by my dictionary anyway)
Each persons OPINION vary drastically. It doesn’t necessarily matter the size of the competitor I guess, but if they are “trained” or not. If you have a 180 pound woman who works out everyday, can run a 9 minute mile and bench press a cow and she happens to barrel race...is she an athlete…hell ya! On the other hand you have an unfit individual who doesn’t train, say a 180 pound marshmallow who considers a long distance run to be from the couch to the fridge, the only “lifting” she does is her spoon or fork to her lips – and she also happens to barrel race…I still would not consider her an athlete just because she phones in her entry, gets her name on the program and shows up to “compete”.
So it’s not really about “how you look” as Savanna says, it’s more about the EFFORT or training put into it. I would say the same about the person who can eat anything they want, not exercise and never gain a pound, just because they aren’t big…doesn’t really mean they are an ATHLETE either.
As for Krys and Savanna referring to the steer wrestlers: might I point out that they get OFF their horse in a matter of a few seconds, in the barrel racing, as you know, your horse must carry your weight around the entire pattern…hard to compare the 2 events really – when steer wrestling has a lot to do with brute strength and force (size is usually an advantage)…hence the term “wrestling” and well…then there’s barrel “racing”.
This is a forum of opinions so I don’t think it is fair for KRYS to say that anyone is "out of line"…these are all just different views…no one is right or wrong…
I totally agree with Randa…the people that are in their best physical shape – are truly dedicated and give themselves the best chance to win…at whatever event it is… It is just silly to think that weight or size doesn’t matter in our event especially. What about the 3 pound weights they hang on racehorses to make things even…if that can make a difference then 20 or 30 pounds makes a difference. I know Krys- the horses are the real athletes in our sport but can’t we help them out by doing our part as bushedbunny said???
Krys: next time you see a topic that you think is so quote “horrible”, just leave it alone rather than trying to set everyone back “in line”.
:twisted:
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record. ~ Jan McKeithen

randa

Postby randa » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:05 pm

I truely (sp) believe that size (weight) does make a difference in barrel racing. I have seen it make a difference in horses I have rode and then put someone smaller on than me (I am 5' 11" and 145 lbs) and they clock a couple of tenths faster. I am not overweight for my height, but it does make a difference in my horses times. So I need to by faster horses to make it up!! Just kidding but I really do think that it does have an effect on my horses times. What do you guys think?

I also agree that you really can't compare barrel racing to the other events.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

tdw

Postby tdw » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 pm

I have had people tell me that weight doesn't play much of a part in barrel racing being that horses are so big but I just can't help but relate it to horse racing when all the jockeys have to weigh in under a certain weight. I really think that horses can feel the difference. I know that if I had to race with my 4 year son on my back compaired to my 6'5" husband on my back -- I know who would win!! :?

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”