Custom Fencing Crews

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

fastback

Custom Fencing Crews

Postby fastback » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 pm

I am looking to get a few miles of fence re-built in the spring and I have priced some custom fencing crews out as we won't have time to do it ourselves. The problem I am having is that the pricing seems to be all over the map, does anyone know what the going rate is? Is there anything that I should be asking when I speak with a contractor? All suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Ms Katie Pars

Postby Ms Katie Pars » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:21 pm

My boyfriend does it, I sent you a pm!

Sorry, he has a crew he doesnt do it by himself (forgot to add that)

Ms Katie Pars

Postby Ms Katie Pars » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:52 pm

pm'd ya!

Bar N K

Postby Bar N K » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Can someone post what the going rate is for other people?

I need 20 acres done and I have some friends that needs some done as well.
Save a horse.....Save a life

Ms Katie Pars

fencing

Postby Ms Katie Pars » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Bar N K:

It is hard to say what they charge in Alberta, I know they charge almost double if not more than we do is Sask. We charge 1200$/mile but that also depends on topography, rocks, bush/trees and all that because if we have start hacking bush down before we start fencing then its a pain in the butt and delays the job even more. And also constantly breaking posts because of rocks, it becomes a waste of posts.

Everyones prices are different, there are quite a few fencing jobs out there and people are raising there prices cause they can, and still have jobs to do.

I would price someone out in Alberta, to see what there going rate is.

Hope this helps :)

Bar N K

Postby Bar N K » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:01 pm

5 years ago out here it was $ 2200/mile. 4 strand barb, 3-4" posts.

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

Bar NK

You were getting ripped off if they were charging you $2200 b/c I know my husband was in the Redwater area just over 3 years ago and he wasn't charging even close to that amount. It is closer now to that price b/c of the cost of fuel and stuff is higher but still not that much!! I guess some people just think that they can rip people off b/c there really isn't that many "Good" fencers out there who should be able to charge that much!!

Bar N K

Postby Bar N K » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:55 am

This crew that quoted me was the crew one of the oil companies used for their leases. At that time we needed the perimeter of our 80 acres minus one side done for our cows. The only other crew that I could find was one from Sask and they were higher understandably.

CowgirlUp

Postby CowgirlUp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Ya usually if they do leases they are more expensive b/c the oil companies will pay whatever it seems! I guess if they were coming from Sask they would have to charge more, that is a long ways away. But like I said it is hard to find good fencers!! Good luck!

fastback

Postby fastback » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:21 pm

I've received a ton of PM's and emails on this topic and thank you for all the input, this is what I have found:

Fencing crews range in price from $1200-$3000 here is sask. The prices are so different because some guys just have a per mile rate but then charge the heck out of a person for their equipment and charge for each line brace, corner brace and gate. That adds up REALLY fast.

Some guys won't do PFRA spec fence, and that is all a few would agree to do. The prices again were different based on the type of fence (3 or 4 strand) and if it was PFRA then it was higher. There were a few "shaddy" characters, I asked for references and all but 2 guys could mention people off the top of their heads and provide contact info, the other two said "they would have to get back to me".

The lower per mile rates weren't too far off the higher rates after you figured in all the extra costs. $2200-2500 was about about the range though, the 3000 was from a guy who is based in the south who deals with lots of rock and also oil leases.

All but two contractors had specifications as to the size of posts they wanted used for braces, if we agreed to purchase the post size they recommmended for the braces they all said they would guarantee their work. The other two said that they would build it using whatever we wanted, but wouldn't guarantee a single thing!

I even spoke with a vinyl fencing company who used to do barbed fences up 'till 3 years ago, they said back then they charged 1800/mile (the input costs have really increased since then!)

Hope this helps anyone else who may be needing some fencing done! If anyone needs a fencing contact in sask, I have found a couple of good ones!!

K.

ranching84@gmail.com

Re: Custom Fencing Crews

Postby ranching84@gmail.com » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:49 am

Most fencers come in go fast and get out. Not many build quality braces or tighten wires properly. The fairest price per mile is 2300 just labour. It's going rate in central Alberta. Guys who charge way less have a agenda and speed is main priority. I charge 2300 per mile and 50 per brace. 15 years fencing

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”