Eye Problems in horses??

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

tlaye

Eye Problems in horses??

Postby tlaye » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:42 pm

Can anyone share some information on Cateracs(sp) in horses eyes? I have an older horse that was diagnosed with cateracs in his one eye. He is now totally blind in that eye and it is starting to weep. The eye has a protruding, blue hazy look to it. Sometimes the weeping is clear and sometimes cloudy. I am really lost with how to look after it. I was putting drops in his eye - antibiotic drops. Then I tried "Clear Eyes", kind of as a long shot! :roll: But now I'm wandering if it is infection and needs something else done. Maybe this isn't even a caterac!? He seems pretty annoyed with it. Anyone have some tips for me, before I haul him to the vet. :?:

randa

Postby randa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:50 pm

We have used tooth powder. And you blow it directly into the eye. I had a horse who's eye was blue and it went back to normal in about 2 weeks.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:24 pm

What is tooth powder? :?

randa

Postby randa » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:33 pm

Like I would know!! :lol: Just kidding! It is Pepsin or something like that. It smells like gum I chewed as a kid called Beeman's. It is a powder, obviously. I am not even sure where to tell you to buy it but it really worked on my horse's eye.
You can only have one thought at a time, will it be positive or negative?

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:40 pm

If it is an infection, Special Formula is a handy treatment. It is designed for mastitis infections in udders, but can be used as a cure all. It also has a steroid in it so it seems to numb the pain. It's available in handy tubes over the counter at most vets and is inexpensive. Cloudiness often comes after a pink eye infection in cattle, but i'm not sure if it can happen in horses does anyone else know if horsess can get pink eye? Eye's are pretty important so I'd get a professional opinion. :)

huey

Postby huey » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:53 pm

I have heard that powdered sugar blown in the eye will help with cloudiness. Haven't tried it myself though. Good luck. T
Raising kids is like being pecked to death by a duck

cancrasher25

Postby cancrasher25 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:40 am

I would definetly try the special formula. We use it to treat pink eye in our cattle, and I have used it on many occasions on horses that have cloudy spots on their eyes. Usually see improvement within days...and cleared up entirely within a week. If it doesn't work I would definetly get to a vet though. We use the sugar on cows that have oat hulls or the like stuck on their eyes that we can't get moved. The granuals make the eye water and then that usually loosens whatever is stuck! The old guys swear by it and it sure works! Good luck!

tlaye

Postby tlaye » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks so much for all the ideas. As a follow up of how this went...I did use the Special Formula. When I spoke with a vet about it he thought it was a real good idea. His opinion was it may be a "Glaucoma" and Special Formula would be a likely treatment. Then we talked to another vet and he thought it may be "Moon Blindness" and suggested Dexamethazone. :? So we gave him both and, whatever it is he has, he looks real good now! Maybe it was a combination of both, but I know I will certainly keep Special Formula in my medical bag from now on! Thanks again... :D

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”