Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

A great place to "stay tuned" - Forum for reference only, closed due to spam.

Moderator: Moderator

jb

Re: Problems with Barrel Horse Bucking...any ideas?

Postby jb » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 am

I've been holding my tongue on this topic as well for quite awhile, but I just went through this whole incident with the best looking and most physically talented mare I'll ever own.
This horse would turn rank, in an instant with NO warning, piled me more than once and hurt me and I rode her through it lots too with some royal lickings to let her know that I was NOT happy with this behaviour. It boiled down to a lack of respect and more importantly trust between the 2 of us. And it only got worse as the years went by (I tried to work on this for 3 years). She would be fine if she was put to work (and you can not find a sweeter horse on the ground), but in a pressure situation or a pleasure ride where her brain was overloaded or could run wild, she would come uncorked out of the blue. It got to the point where I could control what would happen and know her triggers (just like you claim katav) but I realized that this horse was no pleasure to ride and due to the lack of respect and trust would NEVER reach her full potential with me. I finally let go of the beautiful, talented horse and my dreams for her and sold her for $1000 to the guy who started her and will put her and her active mind to HARD work on his cattle ranch.
You sound JUST like me katav when this started with my mare and believe me I wish you the best of luck, but if the chemistry is not there and the respect and most importantly the trust both ways, this is not going to end the way you're dreaming of and I just pray to God that you don't get seriously hurt... or worse.
There are LOTS of horses out there that you could be putting all this time and effort into that WANT to work for you, respect and trust you, and you could then sit back and reap the rewards, rather than play the waiting game (remember 3 years in my case) hoping that things will work out.
Best of luck and stay safe more than anything, no horse no matter how beautiful and talented is worth your life!

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 am

Well I have read all the posts by everyone and as the girl has said over and over she does not want to sell her but try to fix her. On that I was in at the areana the other night and seen her and her horse, I checked her over and she is horribly sore all threw her back, to the point where she crouchs down with the least bit of pressure, she is very, very sore and the girl told me that she starts bucking when she makes her work in a turn, not just in a straight line of riding. So something is really hurting and she has some kind of pulled mucsle in her hind end and is very short with her back leg, to the point of stomping it down. So for selling her right now , I wouldnt I would explore all her options to try and help fix the problems and then see what happens. She is a very kind mare not a demon that some have made her out to be.
Make the hardest run as if it were your last, and always have fun.

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 am

Where are you located? I have an amazing Chiropractor that has made a world of difference on my horse that some people considered "mean" and "dangerous" With the Chiro treatment from this man - he is a totally different horse. I'll gladly send you his info - JMO - but it's worth a try! This guys is AMAZING!!

katfav

Postby katfav » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:36 pm

sure please send me the info I think that might really help a lot! Thanks!
Last edited by katfav on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kopes18

Postby Kopes18 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm

PM'd you

sarahe2000

Postby sarahe2000 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:46 pm

I have a 4 year old who last summer started to buck. He has a great personallity and we get along great and then I went to get on one day and before I could get both feet in the stirrups he started to buck. I made it 5 jumps then fell off. Someone suggested a horse chiropractor. I was a little skeptical at first. But she worked on him and said he had 3 ribs and his lumbar out. After I had him worked on he was fine and I haven't had a problem with him since.

cowgirl1

Postby cowgirl1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Your horse may be sore. ok. If you get that checked out and it works great. If not, I got some advice. You don't want to sell her you better cowboy up.

Feed barley in place of oats. It gives a cool energy. Switch your bit. She is old enough to be in a shank bit. Myler reining bit is my favorite. If she dinks you on anything, be all over about it. Make her back up as a punishment for any bad behaviour. On the ground or on her back. No exceptions. This is so effective. Make her mind her manners at all times. no exceptions. If she is going to buck, either you ride her out and spur the bag or you give her to someone who can. The best place is a cowboy at a feedlot. It does wonders. This may sound harsh but when she augers you into the ground, she doesn't give a darn about how you feel. This is something she has learned to do when she is in a situation that she doesn't like. Woop dee doo that she is longed after you came off. What she needed was to redo what you were doing when she quit on you. You reward her by letting her not complete the task given. Remember, you have 3 secs to discipline. After that she doesn't know what you are correcting her for. It is easy to make excuses for them but when it comes down to it, either they perform or they don't.
Remember- it should never be this hard.

Stephyy

Postby Stephyy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 am

Hey Katfav! I was googling a similar issue , I was practicing barrels the other day and the third or so time thru my mare blew up between 2nd and 3rd, just got her this spring and nothing like this has happened before, now I find myself a little less trusting and was just googling information and came across this thread. Notice it was a long time ago though. Were you able to work through this issue with this mare ?! Any tips ? Thanks :)

Gullette

Postby Gullette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:31 am

sarahe2000 wrote:But she worked on him and said he had 3 ribs and his lumbar out. After I had him worked on he was fine and I haven't had a problem with him since.

I wonder how that happened.

Return to “The Round Pen ~ Discussion”